Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, May 11

Better late than never: Thank you moms!

Well, that was weird. I normally write a Mother’s Day column the week before the big day, but this year I blew it.
Mother’s Day seemed to be early this year. I know it’s past us already, but I still want to give a shout-out to all the moms and moms-to-be out there. I don’t think I’d call motherhood a thankless job, though it may seem like it at times. Since I am not a mother, I don’t exactly feel qualified to say for sure. But I have a mother and a wife who is a mother and I can tell you that they love the job and wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Being a housewife, however, is a whole different story. That does involve a lot of thankless work. Please allow me to take a brief moment to tell all the moms, wives, housewives, stay-at-home moms, single moms, working moms, grandmothers, and any other woman who has, is, or is contemplating becoming a mother, thank you for all that you do. Believe me; it really is appreciated by most of us males of the species.

Conspiracy theory
Once again our dear President Obama has made a really stupid mistake. His decision to not release photos or video of a dead Osama bin Laden is a huge blunder that also flies in the face of his campaign promise to make government more open and transparent.
About 10 years ago we got to watch ad nauseam as nearly 3,000 people died at bin Laden’s command. For more than a decade the taxpayers of this country have funded the manhunt for him. We taxpayers paid the men who killed him. We paid for the equipment they used. Those images belong to the American people, no matter how grisly they are.
To be sure, release of the photos would be inflammatory. On the other hand, not releasing the photos creates the mother of all conspiracy theories. Inflamed passions will die down, but conspiracy theories have a significantly longer shelf life.
I somehow doubt that people – i.e. our enemies – will be inflamed any more by pictures of his corpse than they were about news of his death. Frankly, I don’t care if we anger our enemies. It will subject us to more media coverage of radicals shooting guns, burning the American flag and assaulting us with verbal tirades. Yes, it will also put some of our troops in harm’s way, but they are in harm’s way already. It may result in our enemies coming out of hiding in order to shoot at us. Bring ’em on!
There are moral and ethical questions about releasing the pictures. No doubt they are not for the squeamish and young children to see. At least I think so based on the description of bin Laden’s death. I would like the opportunity to decide that for myself. I don’t want a politician making that choice for me. I have spent just under a fourth of my life waiting for the day bin Laden is brought to justice, only to be denied tangible proof of his demise. I don’t have to tell you how frustrating that is.
It’s not that I have a morbid curiosity to see him dead or any desire at all to exploit it. I just want the satisfaction of seeing for myself the proof that he is truly gone and getting intimately acquainted with the real “great Satan”. More than that, however, is my fierce opposition to the notion of our government keeping secrets from its people.
I can see and agree that there are some things that should be kept secret in the name of national security. But Obama himself said the photos pose no national security risk. I see this as an example of the President denying us something we’re entitled to under the Freedom of Information Act. This is the same President who feels he can violate the Constitution and require citizens to buy health insurance. I see a very disturbing trend here. Or perhaps I’m wrapped up in a big conspiracy theory. (Where is Wikileaks when you need them?!)

Speaking of conspiracy theories
I can’t begin to tell you how many people have approached me in recent weeks convinced that Hempstead Mayor Michael Wolfe is guilty of nepotism. Let’s please put this rumor to rest. Unless you have proof of this, it is wrong to perpetuate the rumors. I have checked with three different sources, including the mayor himself, and am convinced he has not hired any relatives to work for the city that he cannot legally hire. He told me he has had ample opportunity to hire relatives and has adamantly refused to do it. I believe him. If I am wrong, I encourage anyone to come to me with names, proof of hire and the statute it violates. Otherwise, do as the Good Book says and stop being a gossip. Thank you. ’Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home