Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, January 28

Always remember the sanctity of life

Last Sunday was Sanctity of Life Sunday. It coincides with the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling which legalized abortion.
Those who make and enforce our laws have made a lot of mistakes since this country was founded, but none have been bigger and more deadly than this one. To me, it’s not a question of individual freedom of choice, but one of state-sanctioned murder.
Abortion is the taking of another human life. This life happens to be in the womb and the one making the ultimate decision to kill it is the one person the baby is fully dependent on for its life – its mother. The deed is carried out by someone who swore an oath to save lives, not take them.
Those who advocate for pro-choice seem to forget that the one whose life is in the balance isn’t the one who gets to make the choice. Those who argue that a woman should have the right to control her own body need to be reminded that after conception there is more than one body to control. The “control” needs to take place before conception.
Abortion should not be another form of birth control. Abortion is a willful act of murder done for the selfish convenience of the mother. I highly doubt that women who get abortions stop to think about how death might inconvenience their baby. I doubt they think about the choice the baby would make if given a chance.
I know there are those who would raise the issue of rape or incest where the mother did not have a choice in the matter. That is a tough one, but I submit my argument still stands. The baby shouldn’t have to forfeit its life just because its conception was a crime. If the mother doesn’t want the child, adoption is a viable alternative. Abortion should not be looked at as an option. As they say, two wrongs (rape and murder) don’t make a right.
I don’t know the current statistics, but I do know that the vast majority of abortions done in this country are done for the convenience of the mother. A very small fraction is related to rape/incest or to save the live of the mother. The vast majority of abortions are murders committed with forethought and little or no regard to the helpless and defenseless victim.
It pains me to think of the abortion “super center” currently under construction in Houston by Planned Parenthood. Texas already leads the nation in executions. I guess now it will lead the nation in abortions. Could there possibly be another state with less respect for life?
I do believe and support efforts to prevent unwanted pregnancies. I fully believe abstinence outside of marriage is the best way to do that. I’m not naïve enough to think that abstinence-only education is 100 percent effective. We live in a sex-charged society. Even those who fully believe in abstinence are not immune to temptation.
In those cases where abstinence fails, other means of protection need to be readily available. I say that because promiscuity is bad enough. Promiscuity coupled with murder is complete moral failure. It is the ultimate in selfishness.
I know there are those out there who would scoff at me. There are those who are steadfastly pro-choice and do not want me to impose my morals on them. That’s fine; I understand that. But let me ask this: Is it fair to impose your “values” or “morals” on an unborn child if it means taking its life? Do the rights of the mother supersede the right to life? I think not.
It baffles my mind to think that there are those who feel the quality of their life is more important than the quantity (and quality) of the life of their unborn child. None of us can predict the future and see what life will be like down the road. Who are we to predetermine what life will be like because of an unplanned pregnancy? That child has the potential of being the greatest thing to happen to its parents. But there are those who would snuff it out before it has a chance to thrive and reach its potential. There are those who would put their own wants ahead of the needs of their own flesh and blood.
It’s sad that we need Sanctity of Life Sunday to remind us how precious and valuable every human life is. We should value the sanctity of every life every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home