Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, December 2

Feeling the love deep in the heart of Texas

It occurred to me the other day that an anniversary of sorts had passed. I have now lived in Texas for four years – three in Amarillo and almost a full year here.
Not bad for a guy who swore he would never leave Colorado again. I first left Colorado during my first marriage in 1987. I returned in 1996 as that marriage was ending. I regretted having ever left my homeland but am thankful for the experience of living abroad. When I returned I found a renewed love for the Rockies and my beloved state. It was paradise and I was happy.
But alas, not all is fair in love and real estate. An unfortunate turn of events forced me to look elsewhere for a home and job. My wife, being a native Houstonian, was more than happy to point me toward Texas. I came with kicking and screaming. It hasn’t been easy living here.
We had some mighty struggles in Amarillo. But when we left there, we left behind some of the best friends we’ve ever had. There are times when I wish we were back there and times when I’m glad we’re no longer there.
When we first moved down to the Houston area last December, I had three things I wanted to do in my first year. I wanted to go to the beach. I wanted to see NASA and I wanted to visit the Alamo. The beaches we’ve been too, early and often. We’ve also visited NASA twice and will go again frequently now that we have our annual pass.
But the Alamo was the elusive target. Last summer, Sandy took the kids to church camp and stopped in San Antonio on the way back. The rest of my family got to tour the Alamo without me.
Two weeks ago, however, Sandy and I went to San Antonio to attend a Family Life Marriage Conference. The conference was incredible and I highly recommend married or engaged couples attend one. Family Life hosts them all over the country.
While we were in San Antonio, Sandy took me to see the Alamo and to experience the River Walk. I was taken in. I loved San Antonio. I felt privileged to take in the sights, sounds and flavors. I was in awe of being at the Alamo – a place I had heard and read so much about.
Until recently, I have never felt much of a personal connection to Texas. But as I walked through the Alamo I was reminded that Sandy is descended from men who fought for Texas independence at Goliad. She has ancestors that fought on both sides of the Civil War. That really hit home as the day before I was at Liendo Plantation covering the Civil War re-enactments.
While we were driving home, it finally sunk in that, while this may not be my heritage, it is the heritage of my wife and my three sons. I don’t know what took so long for that realization to sink in, but making that connection suddenly made Texas seem more my home than ever before.
Please do not misunderstand – I am and always will be a true Coloradan. You can take the boy out of Colorado, but you can’t take Colorado out of the boy. But if I have to live somewhere other than the Centennial State, Texas is as good as any, I guess.
But now, four years into it, I’m seeing Texas in a much different light. I’m finding peace and contentment in all of God’s creation, not just the majestic mountains. There really is a lot to like and appreciate in this neck of the woods. One of the things I’ve come to appreciate the most is the people. There’s a lot of heart deep in the heart of Texas.
I do have to draw the line when it comes to sports loyalties. I am first and foremost a Denver Broncos fan. That will never change. But the Houston Texans have been my number two team for quite some time now. At the college level, I grew up 12 miles from Folsom Field in Boulder, so while I may not be happy with Buffaloes right now, I still can’t help but be a fan. And I couldn’t have been more surprised and proud than when they beat the Aggies a few weeks ago. It’s not that I have anything against the Aggies, it’s just that lately I’ve got to take a CU victory wherever I can get it.
I guess the point I’m trying to make in all this rambling is that I no longer loathe Texas like I did in my youth. Y’all are good people and this isn’t a bad place to be. I never thought I’d last four years here, especially after the first two were so miserable. But here I am and here is where I expect to be for the foreseeable future. Thanks, y’all, for making me and my family feel so welcome here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home