Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, November 3

Never vote under the influence of a girl

Blame it on puppy love.
The year was 1976 and I was all set to cast my vote for Jimmy Carter. As a fifth-grader at Niwot Elementary School, I didn’t know squat about politics, elections or, apparently, girls.
Niwot Elementary was holding a mock election. Each class was called one at a time to come down to the library so we could cast our vote for president. Secrecy was not an issue.
I was in line behind Leann Root, the girl that I had a crush on since kindergarten. Every time I was near Leann, I would shut down. My heart would race, my tongue would get tied and I’d melt inside.
I watched her, all atwitter, as she took her turn and placed her mark next to Gerald Ford’s name. She walked off and I, my head spinning, promptly placed my “X” by Ford’s name.
It wasn’t until later when we returned to class that I realized my mistake. I never blamed Leann for leading me astray. I took that responsibility myself. As the results were announced over the intercom, I mentally subtracted one from Ford and gave it to Carter. It really didn’t affect the outcome, but I felt better about it.
For the rest of my life I could never imagine how the process of voting could get any more frustrating. Then came the elections of 2000 and 2004. I don’t know what the people in Florida and Ohio have to blame, but I doubt it was anything or anyone nearly as cute as Leann.
In two days it will be time to go to the polls again (unless you were smart enough to cast an early ballot). I really can’t tell you who to vote for. I can tell you that it is important that you do vote. I have voted in every single election I was eligible to vote in since I turned 18. I’m proud to say that my first-ever vote was for Ronald Reagan.
I’ve voted a lot of split-tickets since that time, especially since my journalism career has put me into contact with more politicians and wannabes than an undecided voter during the New Hampshire primaries. I’ve met more senators, congressmen, governors, state legislators and local elected officials than you can shake a ballot at.
I have yet to meet, or even see in person, a president or vice president. I did see Dick Cheney once when he was Secretary of Defense. He wasn’t nearly as cute as Leann, so I wasn’t impressed.
What has impressed me is the caliber of some of our nation’s leaders. There are some that I feel are genuine, principled men and women of integrity. There are plenty, however, who give us reason for term limits.
I’ve been watching the U.S. Senate race in my home state of Colorado between Republican Bob Schaffer and Democrat Mark Udall. I’ve met both men. I find Schaffer to be a real, honest hard-working man with good leadership skills and solid family values. Udall, on the other hand, is a poster boy for the aforementioned term limits.
Here in Texas, I have not met Sen. John Cornyn or his opponent, Democrat Rick Noriega. I have contacted Cornyn’s office a couple times and have been satisfied with the response. I used to get the daily barrage of press releases from Noriega’s campaign, but finally had to ask to be removed from his mailing list.
Noriega’s propaganda was incredibly negative and often wrong. I just couldn’t stomach it anymore. He was more focused on bashing Cornyn than he was promoting his own cause. That’s the same mistake I see John McCain making with Barack Obama in this year’s presidential election. McCain is coming off like a babbling idiot compared to the smooth, refined approach of Obama.
For all of McCain’s experience and his commitment to service of our country, he should be clobbering Obama in the polls. If you believe all the surveys, this county is about to hand the leadership of the free world to a man with less than one term of experience in the senate. This man has done nothing but run for office. He hasn’t been in one place long enough to actually do anything.
Now, I know there are those who would say that McCain’s running mate, Sarah Palin, isn’t anymore experienced than Obama. That may be true, but she is as cute as Leann – you betcha!
Seriously though, as much as I don’t want Obama to win, I do have to admit he would be better than George W. Bush. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)
I voted twice for Bush and regret it once. He was a man of principle and good moral character. He listened to people and was a uniter – before he became the decider.
They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. I feel that is what happened to Dubya. In the wake of 9/11, he went on a power grab and hasn’t let go.
One thing is certain, this election is about change. My life has changed a lot since I pulled that first lever for Reagan. So has this country. To be sure, it will change a lot under an Obama administration. I have to ask, however, if change for the sake of change is good.
I don’t know what happened to Leann, and I certainly don’t know or care who she’s voting for. I do know that I will be casting my ballot with my mind rather than my heart. I hope you will too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home