Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, September 15

My life behind enemy headlines

Welcome to my life behind enemy headlines.
One of the nice things about being the Managing Editor of the Hereford Brand is that I have an element of control over what goes into the paper.
One of the curses about being the Managing Editor of the Hereford Brand is that I have an element of control over what goes into the paper.
The election season a full upon us. As a seasoned journalist with more than 20 years experience, I know and understand the importance of being fair and balanced in our coverage, especially when it comes to politics. For most of my professional career, that has meant living behind enemy headlines. It’s meant giving voice to views and opinions I oppose.
As the News Editor of The Daily Advance in Elizabeth City, N.C., 13 years ago, part of my job was to write about half the editorials. Many of those editorials I completely disagreed with. It made me sick to carry the torch of causes that burned me up inside.
In hindsight, I can see that writing those editorials made me a better writer and a much better reporter. It also deepened my own beliefs and convictions. It gave me a better understanding of why I believe the things I do.
Up until now, every newspaper I’ve worked for has had left-leaning tendencies – some more so than others. Don’t think for a minute that the media in this country aren’t staunchly biased toward the left. The Fourth Estate is thoroughly entrenched in liberalism. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but those exceptions, like myself, are very few and very far between.
Up until my move to Texas nearly three years ago, I was registered to vote as unaffiliated or independent. That allowed me to keep myself politically neutral on paper. When I moved to Texas, however, I registered as a Republican. My beliefs are mostly in line with the GOP and, when undecided, I usually vote Republican as a fall-back position.
I am not ashamed to admit that I am part of the Christian right. My number one criteria in selecting a candidate is whether or not they’re pro-life. In general, that excludes most Democrats.
Last week I ran a story by my wife’s aunt, Deby Trosper, who lives in Wasilla, Alaska, and has worked for Sarah Palin, who is the Republican vice presidential nominee. The purpose of running the story is two-fold. One, it gave Brand readers a perspective they wouldn’t get any where else. Secondly, it is full disclosure that I have a close connection to Palin, though I have never met her, nor anticipate doing so.
What I didn’t know at the time is that Trosper is a Democrat. That further demonstrates to me that Palin is willing to cross political lines to find the best people for the job.
Anyway, I digress. As the Managing Editor of the Brand, I will do my best to present a fair and balanced perspective this election season. Please keep in mind that, outside of local politics, I am limited to what The Associated Press sends us for political coverage.
I will do my best to see that Barack Obama gets as much space as John McCain. Also keep in mind that it pains me to do so. I hate giving equal weight to people and issues that conflict with my belief system. At the same time, I hope you will trust me, based on my record, to make sure that no voice is stifled.
On that note, I want to hear from you. There is less than two months before we go to the polls. The Hereford Brand welcomes and encourages letters to the editor. We will accept all election-related letters up until Oct. 24. We will not run any after the Oct. 26 paper because that does not give anyone time to respond in print before the election.
All letters to the editor must be signed. Please include a contact phone number (which will not be published) so we can verify authorship of the letter if necessary. Letters can be e-mailed to news@herefordbrand.com or sent to our office at 313 N. Lee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home