Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, September 29

Hereford's got the cojones, let's do something with 'em

A while back I asked for suggestions on what we could do to attract tourism to Hereford.
I didn’t get much response, but the best idea came from Jigger Rowland.
So blame him, not me.
Jigger said we should take advantage of our position as the Beef Capital of the World to host the annual World Championship Calf Fry Cook-off.
Why not?
This town has got the cojones to pull it off. In fact, we can supply them in abundance. All we need are the cooks to vie for the title and a crowd willing to shell out a few clams on those oysters.
If we cook up the right scheme, we could make national or even international headlines. We could time the competition with one of the existing events such as the Independence Day celebration or the Spicer Gripp roping.
Just think of the promotional slogans we could come up with.
“You want fries with that!”
“No bull!”
“We’ll steer you right in Hereford.”
“Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire.”
“The reason we’re called the Hostile Herd.”
Maybe we could have our own beauty pageant and crown Miss Calf Fry (or, to be fair, the Oyster King). We could get the Guinness Book of World Records involved and have the International Calf Fry Eating Contest.
When I first came to Texas nearly three years ago, I had to ask someone what calf fries were. I had always known of them as Rocky Mountain Oysters.
I like them, especially fried. I also like liver, sardines, anchovies, crawdads, frog legs and a bunch of other stuff my wife won’t let into the house, but that’s another story.
Right now we’re talking about what separates the bulls from the steers. This could be one of those manly events that are also fun for the whole family.
I guess to make this happen we need to get the chamber on board, or find someone willing to take the bull by the horns. What do you say Jigger?

A swashbuckling Indian?
The news broke on the Internet Wednesday night. I was hoping to go to bed early, but when Disney announced that actor Johnny Depp had been cast to play Tonto in the upcoming Lone Ranger movie, I got caught up reading stories and preparing an update on my Web site (www.lonerangerfanclub.com).
Walt Disney is bringing back the masked man and his faithful Indian companion in a movie produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. The producer and actor are the same that breathed new life into pirate movies with Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” trilogy.
In grand fashion, Disney announced the Depp trifecta, saying the star will appear as Tonto in “The Lone Ranger,” as the Mad Hatter in “Alice in Wonderland” and once more as Capt. Jack Sparrow in a fourth “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie.
I don’t know how I feel yet about Depp as Tonto. He is part Cherokee, but he is also quirky and comedic. Those aren’t traits one expects from the stoic sidekick. To be honest, I think he’d make a better Butch Cavendish, leader of the outlaw band that the Lone Ranger has vowed to bring to justice.
That leaves open the question of casting the lead (or will Tonto be the lead in this version of the Lone Ranger?). Personally, I would like to see professional gunslinger Joey Dillon as the Lone Ranger. He’s got the looks, skills, voice and personality to do the job well. He’s a natural.
My gut, however, tells me Bruckheimer is eyeing British actor Jamie Bamber for the part.
Bamber is best known for playing Capt. Lee “Apollo” Adama in the “Battlestar Galactica” series that recently concluded.
Bamber has the heroic look and is a strong lead. He has also recently appeared in a guest shot on Bruckheimer’s “Without a Trace,” putting him on the producer’s radar.
In the meantime, I’m just glad that the new Lone Ranger movie (due out in 2010) is in the hands of Disney and Bruckheimer. It’s a winning combination that is sure to dust off this 75-year-old hero and make him relevant once more in American pop culture.
Hi-Yo Silver, away!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog on google alerts. I help run a fansite for Jamie Bamber and I was wondering if you could elaborate on your "gut" feeling.

I think he'd be fantastic as the Lone Ranger! It's not a role I would have thought of immediately but now that I think about it I really like the idea.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle aka Beyond Insane, Bamberbunnnies.com

September 30, 2008 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I think you mean "Cold Case," also produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. I don't think Jamie has appeared on Without a Trace.

September 30, 2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger Joe Southern said...

Michelle,
I just found your comments. You are right on the show, it was Cold Case, my bad!
I've felt for a long time that Jamie Bamber had the look of the Lone Ranger and he has a comanding presence from what I've seen on BSG. Now that I know he's on Jerry Bruckheimer's radar, I think he could easily be a contender for the role of the Masked Man. Just remember, if it happens, you saw it here first!

November 03, 2008 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found your reply! Since I help run Jamie's unofficial fanclub, what would you say to a brief email-interview about why you think Jamie would make a good ranger? I'd love to post it on our site, since this blog, and the article in The OC times appeared, we've all got Lone Ranger fever! And who better to opine on the Lone Ranger than you?

Email me at beyondinsane@bamberbunnies.com if you would consider it.

From you blog to Bruckheimer's Eyes!

November 18, 2008 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home