Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, September 8

Sarah Palin from someone who knows

(Editor’s Note: Deby Trosper is the aunt of Sandy Southern, wife of Managing Editor Joe Southern. Trosper was born in Texas, but has lived most of her adult life in Wasilla, Alaska. She has known and worked for Sarah Palin for several years. Trosper was asked to share her experiences with the Republican vice presidential nominee for the benefit of the readers of the Hereford Brand.)

While driving my son to school a week ago Friday, I turned on the local radio station to hear that Sen. John McCain was getting ready to announce his running mate for vice president of the United States. I turned up the volume just as the announcer said “Todd and the children” were already gathered on the stage.
That was all I needed to hear to know history was about to be made. I anxiously called my husband to turn on the television and check out what was happening. It was an exciting day for Alaska, and more so for Wasilla, where Sarah Palin had been mayor before becoming Governor. The whole state was abuzz within an hour. The phones were ringing off the wall with family and friends calling to ask opinions and share their excitement with us.
The whole state of Alaska shares the pride of the nomination. Alaska is the largest state in the union, but the smallest when it comes to knowing your neighbors, whether they live next door or four hundred miles away in Fairbanks.
It is not unusual to fly from Anchorage to any other town in our state and run into someone you know. This is how Alaska is. There are no strangers. And that is how Sarah and her husband have always been.
Sarah’s parents have always been known and loved in the community. Her father retired from teaching in a local school and her mother is a retired school secretary. Todd Palin’s parents also live in Wasilla and are very involved in the community. There is never a doubt of how proud both sets of parents are of their children and grandchildren.
I had the privilege of meeting Sarah Palin when she was on the City Council. The community had decided to build a large neighborhood playground. It took five days of hard work with folks from all over the area pounding nails, hanging swings, painting wood and watching the children paint the “accessories” that still decorate the playground.
I was in charge of signing in the volunteers and making sure they knew where their designated assignment for the day was. When the playground was finished, a paper chain of love the school-age kids had made circled around the area. There was a community link of people holding the circle of love. After an announcement of the park being opened, everyone tore their piece of chain, and hugged their neighbor for a job well done.
Sarah was in that circle and had been part of the working team for the whole week. The park helped to bring our community together.
Through the years to follow, there were casual meetings and greetings around town with Sarah. Being active myself in the community, we would run into each other on occasion. I came to the decision I did not want to do anything for a year and stepped back from the volunteering in the different nonprofits I was involved in. One morning my phone rang around 8:30. It was a man I had never heard of asking if I could come to City Hall for a meeting regarding bricks.
Trying to shake the sleep from my head, I asked him to repeat himself. Once again he asked if I could come to City Hall for a meeting regarding bricks. I told him I did not have a car that day, and had other plans. He became very insistent and offered me a ride. Finally giving in, I put on a pair of cut off jeans and a tee shirt. Bricks always insinuated a dirty job of some kind to me.
I was quite embarrassed when I was taken to an office with the several business people dressed in professional attire. I sat and waited as no one was saying anything until a woman came into the office smiling and started talking with everyone. I was introduced to her and she began telling me about selling bricks for a fundraiser. She had headed up a project in Anchorage to raise funds to build a downtown park.
After listening to her talk for a while I finally asked what did all this have to do with me. “The city of Wasilla wants to build an Armed Forces Honor Garden, and Mayor Palin said to ask you.” I immediately exclaimed I would not do it on a volunteer basis as I was trying to take time off. As it turned out, the mayor wanted hire me as the fundraiser for the project, which involved selling engraved bricks to raise money. After hearing that, I apologized for my casual dress and accepted the job.
The job turned into an experience that changed my life. I was given the opportunity to be creative and offer suggestions for the garden. There are six flags flown around the national flag with points for each branch of the military. Bricks honoring soldiers who served or are serving in the military were placed under the flag of their branch. This is referred to as the “Circle of Honor.” The bricks leading up to the circle were purchased by the community along with benches and trees to line the “Path of Freedom.” The Armed Forces Honor Garden is at the opposite end of the park strip from Wonderland Park, our community playground.
The fact that Sarah had entrusted this project to me was an honor. To hear all the stories of those lost to battle from different wars opened my eyes to what our freedom in this country is really based on. I will always be thankful to Sarah for giving me the opportunity to realize this.
When Mayor Palin became Governor Palin, it still was not unusual to see her around town and at different events. She has never lost the “hometown” friendliness she has always had, and never turned away from a hug.
A few days ago I heard the news of her daughter Bristol being pregnant and I could not help feeling sad for the whole Palin family. In all the excitement for Sarah, a cloud of lies turned the story into sheer ugliness to shadow the Palin family.
I have always admired and had a special fondness for Sarah, not only from getting to know her during my work with the city for the Armed Forces Honor Garden, but from when we were all helping to build the Wonderland Playground. All of the family, as well as Alaska, have been on cloud nine.
The family members are strong Christians and know God is in control of the situation. Sarah has always been pro-life which is evident in little Trig, their Down syndrome baby. She knew he had Downs when he was still small enough to abort, but she and her husband Todd announced that he would be a special baby.
Now they have put the situation with Bristol in God’s hands. For heaven’s sake, ff the press cannot find dirt, they make up what they can.
Sarah didn’t tell anyone about being pregnant with Piper while she was mayor. She delivered her and was back in the office within a few days with Piper in a baby carrier. She knew she was a servant of the people and did not want to let anyone think she couldn’t do the job entrusted to her.
I watched Sarah make her acceptance speech to run as vice president with Sen. McCain. It was wonderful hearing her introduce her family, talk of her abilities, and show a sense of humor with the hockey moms. She is down to earth, but very strong in her beliefs. I have been asked by friends and family if I think she will be a good vice president, and my reply is, “She will do whatever she needs to do because she knows she is a servant of the people.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article Joe. I'm glad to hear from "someone who knows". I can tell Sarah is a good woman with a good family. This country would be blessed to have her as vice president.

October 03, 2008 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home