Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, July 28

What would you like to know?

What would you like to know?
That’s what we would like to know.
Every so often those of us in the newspaper industry get the gumption to reinvent our product. A lot of the changes are cosmetic to make the paper look more appealing and easier to read.
That is something we are going through here at the Brand. But we don’t want to make changes for the sake of change. We want our redesign to be driven by content. After all, you didn’t pick up this copy of the paper because of the way it looks. You picked it up because there was something that caught your attention. It may have been a headline or a picture. Maybe there was a story that was of interest to you. Maybe you like the ads in the Sunday paper.
Either way, you picked this paper up for a reason. I would really be interested in knowing what that reason is. We tend to assume a lot of things in the newspaper business.
We assume that people want more local content. We assume you like hearing about what’s going on in Hereford. Do you like to read about your neighbors, local government and the like? We believe you like seeing pictures in the paper of people you know.
Another assumption I tend to make is that you’re already getting a lot of the national news from TV, Internet, radio, etc. It’s my belief that you don’t want to read that here and that you look to us for something different.
I don’t like to assume. I want to know. I want the Brand to deliver the content you want.
Do you want more local features? More local political news? More school news? More business news? More reader-submitted items? More police and fire coverage? More sports? More agriculture news? More comics? More opinions? More state and regional news?
Do you want less of any of the above?
In my 20-plus years in the industry and having gone through many readership surveys and redesigns, I think I have a pretty good feel for what people want to see in their newspaper. But like I said, I don’t want to assume.
Though this newspaper has owners and employees, it really belongs to the community. I feel the Brand should reflect accurately the daily happenings of Hereford and Deaf Smith County. If it isn’t, or if you think we could do it better somehow, I want to know.
The newspaper should give readers not only a recounting of events in the community, but something that is different, fresh and informative.
Here is your chance to take ownership of your community newspaper. Here is where you can provide input and let us know what you want and expect to see each day when you open the paper.
Please e-mail me at editor@herefordbrand.com or send a letter to me at 313 N. Lee, Hereford, TX 79045. Please, no phone calls.

Accountability report: Week 2 has come and gone and still have not returned to the gym. I have, however, begun doing evening walks with my wife. This has been beneficial in many ways. Besides getting some physical exercise, we’re getting some real quality time together. That’s been good for the mind, heart and body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home