Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, June 16

Displaying the 10 Commandments

When I was first introduced to the community, the headline read, “Lone Ranger fan takes editorial reins at Brand.”
I sure don’t mind being known as a Lone Ranger fan. I’m proud of it. But a bigger part of me wishes the headline had said something about a Christian taking the reins at the Brand.
I say that because, though I don’t always act like it, I consider myself to be first and foremost a follower of Jesus Christ.
That being said, I’d like to play devil’s advocate for a bit. I think it’s in Deaf Smith County’s best interest to reject a proposal to erect a 10 Commandment’s monument on the courthouse lawn. Now, before you get all riled up, here’s why I feel that way.
First of all, the monument is clearly designed with a religious purpose in mind. The men spearheading the effort, Elliot Crabtree of Conlen and Nort Mowrey of Amarillo, have made it clear that they want to get the message across that this nation was founded on principals of Christianity. That puts it in clear violation of the First Amendment.
As a Christian I can’t help but wonder what Jesus would have felt about it. Jesus wasn’t in the business of breaking rules. In fact, he taught his followers to obey the laws and to respect those in authority.
Secondly, if it’s important enough for this community to have the 10 Commandments on display, why not pick another location where it doesn’t conflict with the Constitutional rights of others. Surely there are plenty of business owners who would be glad to donate space for it. Maybe a non-governmental group or organization could provide a spot.
I just don’t think it’s in the county’s best interest to risk an expensive and emotional lawsuit when it is on shaky grounds to begin with.
If the 10 Commandments are important enough to people to put on public display, then maybe folks ought to display them at their homes, their churches or other such places.
I think the 10 Commandments serve as the cornerstone for most laws in this world and there is no doubt they are the foundation of the laws of our land. But I don’t know of anyone who fervently obeys all 10 of them. Try as I might, I know I don’t. I, and most people I know, don’t obey the fourth Commandment. I don’t know of anyone who keeps the Sabbath holy.
I want to, and I try, but our culture almost prohibits it. Of course, there are nine other Commandments and various people have their own problems following them. That’s where God’s grace is such a beautiful thing. I think as long as we strive to obey them, he forgives our shortcomings.
And as a side note, the second Commandment tells us not to make any idols, which, some may argue, this is.
I respect what Crabtree and Mowrey are doing and I feel it’s a noble thing. I just think they’re going about it the wrong way. I think if they re-evaluate their strategy and look for private locations, they can achieve their goal of getting the monuments erected in each county in Texas.
I would feel a whole lot better about supporting the effort if it didn’t put me into conflict with the laws that give me freedom to worship as I please. And I think the people of Hereford and Deaf Smith County would probably feel the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home