Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, June 16

Graduation memories

Covering graduation last weekend made me feel a little nostalgic. It was 25 years ago that I walked across the stage at Niwot High School, accepted my diploma, and shook the hand of Principal Robert “Wimpy” Moderhak.
I’ll never forget those immortal words he spoke to me – “I still owe you five dollars.”
It was a hot day and graduation was held at the track around the practice football field. When the first row stood up to go to the stage, everyone’s gown was plastered to their backs with sweat.
Immediately, everyone still in their seats leaned forward and began tugging at their backs to air out the sweat before it was their turn to stand up. For once I was grateful that my name came near the end of the alphabet. I was dry by the time I came to collect my diploma.
Now, you may be wondering why Mr. Moderhak owed me five bucks and why on earth we called him Wimpy. He was a slightly rotund man with a balding head and a big, cheesy mustache. That fact that he usually wore a suit and often donned a bowler hat made him look just like the character on Popeye. Of course, he hated the name Wimpy and you didn’t dare call him that to his face.
And no, he wasn’t gladly paying me Tuesday for a hamburger today. Some troublesome sophomores had damaged one of my cassette tapes and he had $5 in restitution from the little thugs to give me. Still, he chose and odd moment to remember it.
That wasn’t the last time I saw Mr. Moderhak. I came back to work at my hometown newspaper, the Longmont Daily Times-Call, and called him often for stories. Only this time he was an assistant superintendent. I wrote about his retirement and had only one other occasion after that to talk to him.
He won a contest to appear at halftime at the Sugar Bowl. He could win $2 million if he could throw a football so many yards to a target four times and then have ex-quarterback Joe Theismann do the same. Mr. Moderhak made all of his throws, but Theismann missed his. Still, he walked away with $500,000 and a free T-shirt.
I have to say I was impressed with the Hereford Class of 2008. As a whole they were very well behaved and respectful. It was a very dignified ceremony. Flash back 25 years ago to northern Colorado and we were a much more colorful lot. It was the time of big hair and the only way you could tell the difference between the genders from behind was by how teased the hair was.
Despite the threat of not being able to walk the stage, several people put messages on their mortarboards and/or hid things in their robes. Some blew bubbles during the ceremony. I seem to recall a couple inflatable beach balls bouncing around.
One or two graduates leaped into the arms of coaches as they crossed the stage. Most, but certainly not me, voted “Wasted on the Way” by Crosby, Stills and Nash as the song for the Class of 1983.
It’s funny how much we remember and treasure our high school days. It was only three years out of my 42 years of life, but clearly among the best of times. I now have a daughter, Heather, who is in high school. Unfortunately I don’t get to share much of her high school experience. She is the product of my first marriage and lives with her mother in Minnesota.
Still, I get to have her for the summer and she will be joining me this weekend at the Memphis Film Festival. I can’t wait to see her again.
As for the Class of 2008, I can’t say that I have any profound words of wisdom to share with you. The best advice I have is to always do your best, trust God and never believe anyone who tells you that you can’t do something (unless that person is God or a law enforcement officer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home