Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, June 16

Welcome to Hereford, Texas

One of the first things I was told about Hereford is that it’s a very friendly town.
I can’t dispute that. Within days of my arrival at the Hereford Brand, I had several people coming in to meet me. Nearly everyone has gone out of their way to say hi or help out in some way.
It’s a far cry from the reception I got when I moved to Amarillo two and a half years ago. Nothing against the big city, but I was ready to leave the day I arrived. And given how nice things have been here, I still can’t wait to leave and to call Hereford my home.
I’m a small-town country boy at heart. I never did adjust well to life in the big city. Oh, I made friends, found some favorite places to go and have become a member of a wonderful church. But I’m afraid to let my children ride their bikes, take walks, go to the park or play with the neighbor kids.
Somehow I don’t think those will be a big issue for me here. I feel a whole lot safer here than I do in Amarillo.
I’m not going to badmouth Amarillo. It’s been a good place to live, despite my reservations. But I grew up in the village of Niwot, Colo. At the time it was a little farming community of about 500 homes. We had a one-acre hobby farm with cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, ducks and about 200 rabbits. I also raised bees and we had a huge garden.
My wife Sandy, who was born in Houston but grew up in Oregon, also lived on a hobby farm in the country. It’s something we’d like to have for our own children some day. I think Hereford could provide that for us.
On the other hand, life at the Hereford Brand these past couple weeks has been a comedy of errors. To say that we’re technologically advanced would be a gross overstatement. We’ve recently had our computer system overhauled. That caused us some major glitches, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. At this point we’re still trying to get our e-mail capabilities back.
On top of that, Friday was the last day for our publisher, Larry Reynolds. His time here was short, but effective. We’re in much better shape now than when he arrived here in February. He has been lured away to Liberal, Kan., and we wish him all the best.
In the meantime, that’s going to leave a lot of little chiefs trying to fill in some big shoes until a new publisher is named. Please bear with us and understand that we’re trying our best.
I am a big believer in community journalism. I want the people of Hereford to feel and to know that this is their paper. Each reader and advertiser has a stake in this paper and I want you to feel like it’s your own. Please feel free to contact us with your story ideas, pictures, etc. If it’s important to you, it’s probably important to others in the community. And that’s what we’re here for, this community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home