Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, January 11

Put the service back into customer service

My first draft of this column was brutal. I had a really bad experience trying to buy some reading glasses from the optical department at a local big box store and I wanted to vent about it. At the same time, I had a very pleasant experience getting them from a local department store from an overworked and overwhelmed employee who had no choice but to make me wait for hours. As I wrote the column I found that way too many words were being vented toward a very pushy salesperson and not enough toward the very pleasant and very helpful one. I guess it’s human nature to want to complain. As I read and re-read the column, I realized that I wasn’t writing about the experience as much as I was about customer service. If you’ve ever been to the Chick-fil-A restaurants in Rosenberg and Greatwood you will know what I mean about the difference that customer service can make. Every time I walk into one of these stores I am greeted with “welcome to Chick-fil-A”. The multiple greetings usually come from very busy people working feverishly behind the counter. Anyone who has worked in the fast food industry can tell you that it is very hard, unrewarding and low-paying work. The people at Chick-fil-A, however, act as though as if they love what they do and that their customers are the most important people in the world. They will bring your food to your table and invariably someone will come by to check on us and offer to refill our drinks. I can’t recall a single time a fast food burger chain has provided that level of service. None of that has anything to do with my experience buying glasses, but it illustrates perfectly what I mean about the quality of customer service. The first place I went to for glasses was not very busy. I got prompt attention from the employee. That person began upselling and pushing products I did not need or want. My insurance benefits were probed as well as those of my family. I did not appreciate that violation of my records. I was very offended to be pushed toward buying a more expensive pair than what I needed. It was clear to see that this person was looking out for a big commission and did not care about the needs of the customer. The place where I got my glasses should have turned me off, but didn’t. It was at the JCPenney in Rosenberg where there was one person waiting on a line of impatient people and a ringing phone. The selection of frames was much smaller. But Regina, the salesperson, maintained her cool. She kept smiling, apologizing for the wait and treated each customer with her full attention and dignity. I found out later that Regina was a student at the University of Houston and had only been working there for two months. They were on their second day with a new computer system, and she was plagued by all the problems associated with it. On top of that, her manager abandoned her on one of the store’s busiest days of the year and left her to fend for herself. Knowing what a miserable day Regina was having, I was amazed at her poise and grace in dealing with all these hardships and that she still smiling and acting friendly toward each customer. That kind of service and dedication far outweighed the inconvenience of the long wait I had. It was worth it to me. And in the end I got what I wanted for a lot less money than the pushy person tried to get from me. All of this reinforces my belief that life is not about how we fend for ourselves but rather how we serve other people. What’s important in life is not what we get but what we give. Giving your time, talent and treasure will do more for you and those around you than taking all you can get ever will. I honestly believe Zig Ziglar when he says that you can get whatever you want out of life if you help enough other people get what they want. All the great motivational speakers and business leaders understand that living by the golden rule is the absolute best way to make a living. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you requires action first. You have to give something of yourself in order to have others do the same in return. Jesus did not say to have others do unto you before you do unto them. You’ve probably heard the saying that if you want to have a friend you must first be a friend. That is so true. Once you open yourself up to giving, the receiving naturally follows and in abundance. Later this week when I go to get my glasses, I will probably stop and have lunch at Chick-fil-A. When I return, I will know that I have done business with people who understand this principle and that my day will be better for it. And I hope your experience in reading this column has been more beneficial to you than it would have been if you had read my original gripe piece. That is my gift to you today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home