Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Friday, October 28

What's up with the whole Occupy Wall Street thing?

I don’t fully understand what the whole Occupy Wall Street protest is all about.
Do these people want to live on government welfare? Do they think it’s immoral to make a profit? Do they lack the gumption, fortitude and good ol’ American ingenuity to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and start their own business (or, Heaven forbid, take a lesser job for a while)?
I sure wish I had the time to sit around and bite the hand that feeds me. I’d use that time to do something constructive with my life. Just imagine what these people could do if they took all their energy, passion and talent and put it to positive, constructive use.
I suppose these people who are all against “corporate greed” (i.e. profits) and who want government to fix their problems might be happier in a place like China. It’s a communist nation and the government will provide for them. They can take back their jobs that were sent over there so people here didn’t have to do menial, tedious work to make affordable the cool gadgets we like so much.
I really do feel bad for those who are out of work. The U.S. economy has been weak for a long time. That doesn’t mean, however, that envy and anger at those who are successful in business is going to accomplish anything. Instead of being upset that you don’t have what they have earned, why not learn from your mistakes and their successes and change your own life? Why wait on someone or something else to take care of you?
I know what it’s like to be unemployed. I started a business that failed. I’ve been bankrupt and out of a job. It hurts. It’s no fun. But I didn’t sit there and protest. I went right out and found a job. The economy in the post-dot.com era wasn’t much better than it is now and I still found a way. And if I can do it …
Tut, Tut, it looks like reign
I thought that headline was cute. When I went to the press preview of the Tutankhamun exhibit at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, I had two things running through my mind – the song “Walk Like an Egyptian” and the quote from Christopher Robin in Winnie the Pooh, “Tut, tut, it looks like rain.” I don’t know how many people out there caught the play off that quote. Pooh, of course, was interested in a type of gold much sweeter than that of a golden mummy.
Growing up, I heard a lot of mention of Tut, but didn’t know much about him. Seeing the exhibit was initially a curiosity thing for me. I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I left totally awed by what I saw. The first thing that struck me was how much smaller the artifacts were than what I had imagined them to be. The second thing was how incredibly ornate and finely detailed each piece was, especially considering their extreme age. I had no idea that ancient Egyptians had the knowledge and the tools to make things of such fine detail and craftsmanship.
We were told that this U.S. tour would be the last time the Tut exhibit would make the rounds. It is bound for permanent placement in a new museum in Egypt. We have less than six months to see it here in Houston. I highly recommend it, especially for children who may never have an opportunity like this again. The history behind it and its discovery is fascinating and the artistry of the pieces is unparalleled, especially for its time. Maybe I’m just naïve about art and antiquities, but even for my untrained eye, I could tell this is something that’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
If you get the opportunity to see it, do so! You won’t regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home