Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, November 5

A timely lesson about integrity

Today’s lesson, kids, is about something we call “integrity.”
According to the dictionary, integrity is, “adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.”
There are other meanings for the word, but they all essentially boil down to the honest, whole, incorruptible character of a person or thing. In this case, we are talking about people.
Before I begin any finger-pointing, let me first admit my shortcomings up front. I pride myself on my integrity, but in truth I am seriously lacking. I harp on family values, but I am quick-tempered and too often neglectful of my own family. That is a problem I am working on. With my lengthy commute, I have developed very poor driving habits. Again, that is something I’m working hard to improve.
My point is, I am not without faults, but I strive to make myself a better person despite them.
I have only been in South Texas about 10 months. Just before my arrival, two Hempstead aldermen were arrested on bribery charges. Two other officials in Brookshire had just been sentenced in the same case. That case would go on to include the arrest of a justice of the peace and has the potential for snaring more elected officials in Waller County.
I have to applaud the efforts to cleanse the county of corruption. I also applaud those who have taken the places of the former officials and who are working steadfastly to make our communities a better place.
Through all that has gone on around him, Hempstead Mayor Michael Wolfe has come across with a great deal of integrity. He is resolute in his faith and is a solid leader for this community. I like him and have the utmost respect for him. But, he has one fault that drives me nuts. He can’t seem to keep time.
I realize in light of all the issues facing the city that this is a small problem, but it’s one that needlessly causes embarrassment to the city and is a chink in his armor of integrity.
City council meetings are supposed to start at 6 p.m. So far this year, that has happened only twice. In my review of city council records, meetings this year have started as late as 17 minutes after 6 p.m. and seven times have been more than 10 minutes late.
The average meeting starts more than six minutes late. To date this year, the late starts add up to two hours and 23 minutes. The lost time is equal to that of two average city council meetings, and the year isn’t over yet.
To put this in terms of dollars, if you assume an average of 18 people at a meeting, and if each earned the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that is a waste of $287 so far this year. Granted, not everyone in the room is on the clock, but some are. And most there earn a lot more than minimum wage.
As I said, this is a small issue, but an annoying one. How hard can it be to start a meeting on time, especially when you are already there?
I do give Mayor Wolfe a lot of credit for taking on some tough issues, such as the water problems and the need for about $9 million worth of municipal projects for which the city is planning to issue bonds. Kudos to the mayor for rising well above the corruption that has surrounded him. But please Mr. Mayor, be mindful of the time lost by others on your behalf and start the meetings on time. I know I am not alone in this complaint.
That being said, I’d like to address some of those issues facing the city. I think Mayor Wolfe is on the right track by his plan to have the city issue $9 million in bonds for municipal projects. Most of that will go toward a new sewer plant, which is the top need for the city. Next up is a new water well to replace the one that has been identified as the source of most of the arsenic in the city’s water supply. Other items proposed for the bond include a water park, ball fields and a playground. I think all of those things are essential to the quality of life in Hempstead.
The city is continually being fined by the state because of discharges from the sewer plant that are over limits for certain contaminants. The same for arsenic levels in the water. Those problems – and the fines – will continue until the problems are addressed.
As for the drinking water, arsenic is an element that occurs naturally in the environment. Trace amounts can be found in just about everything you eat or drink. But, in concentrated forms, arsenic is a powerful poison. The level of arsenic, from what I understand, is not going to harm you if you drink the water. The risk comes from long-term exposure to it – years, even decades.
I know the $9 million will be a financial burden for the city and for ratepayers, but the alternative is far more expensive in terms of not only dollars, but for health reasons and for the reputation of the city.
On that note, I think the best thing the city can do is move forward with the bond and the projects. It’s what anyone with an ounce of integrity would do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home