Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, September 24

Help! I'm being bugged to death



There’s something that’s been bugging me – literally.
I can only assume that dealing with bugs is the norm for people here in south Texas. It’s something I’m not used to and I don’t like it.
For starters, our office is inundated with crickets. Most of them are dead, thanks to a good exterminating service. But still, dead and dying crickets are everywhere. But that’s nothing compared to the war we’ve been waging at home.
Roaches, ants, termites, spiders, mosquitoes, silverfish, flies and lice have infested our humble abode. But now fleas have taken over. They’ve nearly paralyzed our pets, especially our older cat. They’re driving the rest of us insane.
A couple weeks ago my oldest son developed some kind of rash or infection on his feet. We took him to the doctor and he was put on heavy-duty antibiotics while a biopsy was conducted. He stayed home from school for fear his infection was contagious. It came back as flea bites.
We have tried all kinds of bug bombs, sprays, carpet powders, and flea medications for the dog and cats. Nothing works.
This is a plea from a desperate man: if you know of anything that will rid of us fleas, please … no, I beg you, let me know.
I’m not used to dealing with bugs on this level. We have bugs in Colorado, where I’m from, but they’re not in this kind of abundance and they’re certainly not this aggressive. My poor, aforementioned cat has just about plucked himself bald on his lower half trying to rid himself of the infestation. He sits on high perches and stays away from the carpet.
I washed the dog and cats the other day, taking a pair of tweezers to them. I bet I plucked and washed off hundreds of the little pests, but barely made a dent in the population roaming their coats.
I feel like all of my free time and disposable income are being wasted playing exterminator. On top of that, I have a constant creepy, crawly, itchy feeling. I just want this madness to stop.

Shameless plug for 'Joseph'
My wife, Sandy, is part of the cast and crew performing “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” at First Colony Church of Christ in Sugar Land. In addition to being one of the costumers, she plays several small roles in the musical. Through her various parts she is on stage through more than half the production.
I got to set through the first dress rehearsal Sunday afternoon and was very impressed with the quality of the production. The show is based off the Andrew Lloyd Weber production, with a few liberties. Having never seen any version of “Joseph” before, I found it entertaining, comical and inspiring.
Ron Roberts, son of Fulshear Mayor Jamie Roberts, stars in the title role. He is a very gifted performer with a disarming smile and charm. And oh boy, can he ever sing!
For me, however, the real star is Sandy. She very gracefully shines in her role as a background dancer during the Western number and as part of Potiphar’s wife’s entourage. She gets to tie up Joseph when he is thrown into jail.
Sandy is also one of the Egyptian women in Pharaoh’s court and is in the big mega-mix grand finale. I didn’t get to see the end. The rehearsal ran long, as they paused to take professional photos. I had to leave early with the boys because it was a school night and they needed to get to bed on time.
I do have tickets and will get to see the whole show in a couple weeks. It runs this Saturday and Sunday and again on Oct. 3-4. Ticket information can be found at www.firstcolonychurch.org.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Splenda and nutrasweet poisonous?
I just discovered something creepy. sucralose aka: Splenda or aspartame aka:nutrasweet (nutra my ar$e) will kill ants,cocraches, house flies and I don't know what all else yet, but it kills ants, kills the entire colony quite efficiently
»au.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···0AALTP1s

I used it outside foundation & driveway of my house. I don't know how effective it is as my house were also treated for termites 2 years ago (by Terminix). I used to see a lot of black ants indoor, they are gone now.
to forum · permalink · · 2009-01-28 13:35:24 ·


gillespie
Premium
join:2001-11-28
USA reply to cowboyro
You beat me to it. Boric acid works wonders, as somebody else stated, clean up the area of food real well then sprinkle the boric acid along the baseboards and in front of any entrance doors.
to forum · permalink · · 2009-01-28 15:01:49 ·


Rxdoxx
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
clubs:
·Verizon FIOS
·Comcast

Host:
Software
Washington & Balti..
reply to Zupper
Just adding in that I have used Boric Acid for many many years. Big plus is toxicity

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on mammal median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love not having to worry about eating something I dropped on the floor in the kitchen
--

September 25, 2009 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home