Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, August 27

Keeping momentum is the hardest part

The problem with momentum is eventually you run out of it.
At least that’s the way things seem to go. This is especially true with conferences, motivational speakers and special programs. You get fired up for a while and maybe even make significant, life-long changes. But then the excitement wears off, you get back in a rut and the next thing you know all that momentum is spent.
I’m coming off an event last weekend that I hope has enough momentum to last longer than normal. I went to Men At The Cross at the Berry Center with a group of guys from my church, First Colony Church of Christ.
Men At The Cross is kind of a Promise Keepers spin-off. Its founder, Joe White, got his momentum from Promise Keepers, calling men to the cross of Christ and challenging them to be followers and mentors. Where Promise Keepers is focused on making men better husbands, fathers and leaders in their church and community, Men At The Cross takes it the next step. Evangelizing and equipping the next generation of Christian leaders is its focus. But in order to do that, it must first pick up where Promise Keepers left off.
(Note: Promise Keepers still exists and is the preeminent men’s ministry in the country. It has just fallen on hard times and is struggling to rebound.)
Many of the speakers Friday night, including White, are current and former Promise Keepers speakers and staffers. They all have an unwavering passion for reaching the hearts of men for Christ. It’s a passion I share but momentum I lack. This past weekend was a huge boost in many ways. It’s also a reminder that we are in a spiritual war and as of late, we’ve been losing a lot of battles.
I can’t recall which speaker said it, but it was noted that the men in the church – many who used to be on fire from Promise Keepers – have become complacent. We’ve become content that our wives are been nourished in thriving women’s ministries and that our children are engaged in children’s and youth programs. We’ve let our guard down knowing our families are cared for. We’ve forgotten that we’re to be the ones caring for them. We’re to be the ones supporting our churches and pastors. We’re supposed to be the ones engaging our families.
I come before you now confessing my guilt in this regard. I have not been the spiritual leader that I know I should be. I’ve been getting by with minimal effort, being content to let my wife lead the charge.
I challenge the men out there to join me in taking spiritual leadership in your families. The first steps are not difficult. Pray with and for your family. Pray for each member of your family by name. Pray with your family. I do at each meal and at bed time. I try to have each person in the family pray at night when we come together, but usually it is past bedtime for the younger kids and I end up saying the prayer in haste and sending them off to bed.
Where I have been failing is in making time to pray with my wife and to be in some kind of daily Bible reading with her. That needs to change.
The second thing is to make sure the family gets to church each week. Don’t just show up and go through the motions. Get engaged in the things there. Volunteer to serve where you can. Set the example. Participate in activities. Tithe. Attend mid-week services. Spending time doing these things is much healthier spiritually and physically for your family than watching endless hours of television.
As a side note, every minute you spend with your family away from TV, video games and movies is a minute less of mind control the entertainment media has over you. It’s also a minute of time that will not be lost in regret.
But back to my original point. It’s time we men got motivated. We need to get back into the game. We need to be the men God made us to be. We can’t be content to be game watchers. We must be the playmakers. We need to be actively engaged with our families and with other men.
The culture in this country is eroding the role of men. It’s time we came together and fought the good fight. It’s time we stood up against the things of this world that have hold of our children. We need to be there for our wives, leading the charge, not following along.
If there is anyone out there who would like some help in this regard, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home