Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, July 2

Patriotism extends beyond the 4th of July

On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, I was the first reporter in the office of the Longmont (Colo.) Daily Times-Call.
A small group of editors who arrived at about the same time were huddled together making the decision to print an “Extra” edition of the company’s three daily newspapers. I didn’t even have to wait for the decision to be made. I was already flooding city hall with phone calls.
Reporter Joyce Davis arrived right after I did and began calling churches to find out about prayer vigils and other gatherings in recognition of the terror attacks that were still unfolding.
The police chief’s secretary – who was still nursing a grudge against me for a column I had written some months earlier – was suddenly very polite and responsive to my queries for information and an interview with the chief.
It was understood by all that the world had changed that day and how the rest of us were to survive depended greatly on how well we pulled together and communicated.
As I sat at my desk banging out a story about Longmont’s emergency plan should the attacks come inland, I couldn’t help but look at the small flag standing atop my computer monitor amid all the little Star Wars figures I had accumulated. It was the only flag in the newsroom, but not for long.
As an Eagle Scout, I have always had a strong sense of patriotism and a healthy respect for the U.S. flag. The little flag was on my computer years before the 9/11 attack and has always been in my office, even when flat-screen monitors left no room for its display.
Even now, there is a full-size flag hanging on the wall behind me. On a cabinet there are three small American flags in prominent display. There is another flag on the wall outside my office in the main room of the newspaper’s office.
I don’t have to wait for the Fourth of July to roll out the flag and inflate myself with a sense of patriotism. While I have never been in the military, I can relate to the feelings our soldiers have about this country and its banner. I think our soldiers and sailors are about the only ones I’ve met with a better understanding of what freedom really means and the price that has to be paid for it.
I never grow tired of seeing public meetings opened with the Pledge of Allegiance. Likewise, I continuously grow weary of hearing people say it wrong. Almost all the time you hear people say “one nation (pause) under God.” There is no comma, and thus no pause between the words “nation” and “under.” It should be said “one nation under God.”
I remember trying to teach this years ago to the Cub Scout pack that I led. It worked for a while, but school re-conditioned the boys to pause between the words again.
Still, it pleases me to no end when the Pledge is recited or the National Anthem sung at sporting events. It’s our identity as Americans that unifies us as a people no matter how diverse we may be.
As the saying goes, “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” It’s that right that we have to speak our minds that is so precious and worth defending.
Our right to free speech and the defense of that right it what keeps me stoked about working in newspapers. The state of the industry should frighten most people – especially those who feel newspapers are past their prime. Newspapers have long been the watchdogs of government. Ever hear of a thing called Watergate? You wouldn’t have were it not for a newspaper.
As newspapers are forced to tighten belts and shrink staff and resources, the ability to play that crucial role in society diminishes. When readers look at the smaller papers today, they know what they see. It’s what they don’t see that is alarming. Many stories are missed that the public will never know about. I experience that painful truth every day as a one-man reporting staff.
I guess what it boils down to is the price for free content on the Internet is the loss of information and knowledge due to a lack of resources and people to dig it up. I would ask you to look out in your yard Saturday morning as you put your flag out to look around and see where your newspaper is and also that of your neighbors.
Newspapers have always been the cornerstone and top defender of free speech. As newspapers go, so will flags and the freedoms for which they stand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home