Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, July 9

Stay the course to the moon

I was three weeks shy of my fourth birthday when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin set foot on the moon.
It’s hard to believe that the 40th anniversary of that historic walk on the moon is coming up on July 20. I’m enjoying all the hype of that anniversary here in the Houston area. I love being near NASA!
I think there are too many people out there – our commander in chief in particular – who do not appreciate enough that milestone in human achievement. For centuries mankind has looked up to the heavens, longing to know what’s out there.
Forty years ago we took our first steps to find out. Not since Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt left the last footprints on the moon nearly 37 years ago has man ventured any farther from the planet than low-earth orbit.
In the wake of the Columbia disaster, former President Bush set the nation on a course that would take us to the moon, Mars and beyond. President Obama seems intent on grounding NASA. His lack of vision will do more to hinder progress in space than President Kennedy did to inspire it.
I understand that he feels compelled to focus on the needs at home. To be sure, those needs should not be forgotten. But I would submit to you that the government did more to spur employment and technological advances while it was making plans to go to the moon than it ever will in rewarding failure through increased welfare programs (read universal health care and government bailouts).
This country has achieved more greatness by going to the moon than any nation in history. It is truly mankind’s greatest achievement and yet we seem content to let it rest in the dustbin of history. Why?
I remember well that day when man reached the moon. I was busy playing and my mother called me over to the TV to watch. I could have cared less about man walking on the moon. My 4-year-old brain was conditioned to seeing the adventures of man in space. I did, after all, watch “Star Trek.”
It took my mom a while to explain to me that the Enterprise and her crew were make-believe and that humans were reaching the moon for the first time. It would be years before the significance of that would register with me.
Since then I have had the pleasure of interviewing two men who have walked on the moon – Buzz Aldrin and Alan Bean. I’ve also met and interviewed would-be moon walker Jim Lovell of Apollo 13 fame.
I consider Vance Brand – who was on the Apollo-Soyuz mission and commanded three space shuttle flights – to be a friend of mine. I have met and befriended several astronauts over the years and continue to be impressed with their high caliber of character.
I’ve also watched a shuttle launch from the main viewing area. I have to tell you that it is an awesome sight and a memorable experience that I will never forget. You can feel the heat and vibration, even three miles away.
Unfortunately, the days of space shuttle launches are numbered and those huge beasts will thunder into space no more. In their place will come a dependency on Russian rockets to ferry people and materials to the space station. And if our president has his way, we’ll be content to thumb a ride for the foreseeable future – say nothing of going beyond to the moon or Mars.
Mr. President, I implore you – if “Star Trek” can have a successful reboot after 40 years, certainly mankind’s greatest adventure deserves no less. Please don’t lose sight of our future. Please don’t quash the spirit of adventure and discovery that made this nation great. Keep us on a path to explore the stars.
Greatness lies ahead in the final frontier. Don’t let politics and a lack of vision blind us to the possibilities that await in space. Great men use opportune moments to achieve great things. Don’t use the 40th anniversary of the first men on the moon to be your moment to define failure. Use this moment to inspire us to even greater heights and adventure.

Waller Freedom Fest
It was a hot time in the old town Saturday night. Though the heat was the Waller Freedom Fest’s worst enemy, those that braved the 103-degree temperatures had a great time at the “first annual” event.
Kudos to City Secretary Jo Ann London and the many volunteers who made the event happen. My family particularly enjoyed the inflatable water slides and getting sprayed by the water canon fired by the Waller Volunteer Fire Department.
The evening was capped by some wonderful live music, particularly that of the Robbie Seay Band. And the fireworks display was beautifully choreographed to music and was very pleasant to behold. I look forward to next year’s event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home