Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, March 19

Reba redux: Queen of Country has still got it


I took the family to see Reba McEntire at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo last week and I’ve got to say the ol’ gal’s still got it.
It’s been about 15 years since I last saw her in concert and I have to give Reba credit for not losing a step in all her years of touring. She looked and sounded every bit as youthful and vibrant at the show in Reliant Stadium as she did in the mid-1990s in the Norfolk (Va.) Scope.
The show last week was a first in my family in many ways. It was the first time I have gone to a concert with my wife and sons. It was the first concert for my three sons. It was the first time my wife, Sandy, got to see Reba live. It was our first time inside Reliant Stadium.
As venues go, Reliant Stadium is less than ideal. The acoustics are not great and the center stage is so far away from the fans in the stands that the intimacy is lost. Still, Reba did a lot to overcome those obstacles in the way she reached out from across the chasm. She definitely knows how to play to her audience.
When I first saw Reba she was in her big hair days and was on top of the charts with her duet with Linda Davis called “Does He Love You.”
The show then lasted about two hours and included many set and wardrobe changes and even an appearance by Vince Gill via recorded video for her duet with him. During that show she took a ride in a cart that went across the arena at the height of the second level.
The show last week was contained to the center stage in the round. It did have short runways that allowed her to get a little closer to the stands, but she was still best viewed on the giant screens. There were no wardrobe changes, though the rotating stage had a dazzling light show with it.
What impressed me the most was how solid a performance Reba gave. Many of the songs she did 15 years ago were condensed to a medley, which says a lot to her staying power and the number of albums she continues to put out despite being on a hit television show at the same time.
Sandy got really excited when she did “Because of You,” which is one of her favorite songs. The one I liked the most was “Is there Life Out There.” The finale to the show last week was “Fancy.” I thought for sure there would be an encore, but I guess the schedule didn’t permit it.
Still, it was an exciting evening and a memorable performance. I look forward to seeing her in concert again. I also hope someday to give Reliant Stadium a second chance to prove itself as a concert venue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home