Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, January 15

Some movies are life-changing

Every so often a movie comes along that changes your life.
For me, that movie was “Star Wars.” I was not quite 12 when I saw it for the first time. I knew then that my life would be different somehow. My whole world was different. It was bigger and more exciting.
No other movie affected me quite the same until “Dances With Wolves.” Where “Star Wars” gave me a sense of awe and wonder, “Dances With Wolves” filled me with peace, respect and pride. I was reminded of these two films last weekend because they aired at the same time on television. I clicked back and forth mercilessly. Commercial breaks never stood a chance.
There have been other films to affect my life over the years. More recently, “Passion of the Christ,” “Facing the Giants,” and “Fireproof” have really inspired me. So have the “Spider-Man” and “Pirates of the Caribbean” trilogies, but to a much lesser degree.
This past year I found myself drawn to “The Dark Knight.” It’s not a life-changer and it won’t rank in my top 20 all-time favorites. What got me more than anything was the performance by the late Heath Ledger as the Joker.
It wasn’t that long ago and I was condemning Ledger and the rest of Hollywood for “Brokeback Mountain” and a host of other pro-gay movies. Were it not for Ledger’s role as the Joker, I wouldn’t have given his passing a second thought. Having seen the movie a couple times now, I really feel the loss of his remarkable talent.
Oscar nominations will be coming out soon. If Ledger isn’t nominated, I’m not watching the ceremony this year. Somehow I don’t think that will be a problem.
Of course, what this tells you about me is that in addition to being an Old West fanatic, I’m a sci-fi junkie (or dork, as my friend Travis Pryor would interject here).
I have never in my life knowingly worn pointy ears or foam rubber forehead ridges, though I have to admit to having dressed up as Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker for Halloween.
I am one of those geeks who attend Star Trek conventions, giving Vulcan hand signs and quoting freely from the original “Star Trek.”
I have seen “Star Wars” more than 100 times. I have figurines of C-3PO and R2-D2 in my office. I have met or seen in person more science-fiction actors than I can count on my fingers and toes.
When “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace” came out I attended the midnight showing and then took the next day off from work so I could spend the entire day in the theater watching it back-to-back-to-back.I first talked with my wife about getting married while standing in line with her at the Star Wars Celebration in Denver in 1999.
I have been a science-fiction fan longer than I can remember. I was almost 4 years old when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon (I’ve met Buzz, by the way). I remember my folks calling me over to watch it on TV.
At the time I didn’t see what the big deal was about landing on the moon because we already had starships way out there in outer space. That was when mom had to explain to me the difference between real TV and fiction.
As a young man I had to nourish my sci-fi fetish on “Star Trek,” “Godzilla,” “Planet of the Apes” and comic book heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman and Superman. Eventually Hollywood served up more dishes like “Battlestar Galactica,” “Buck Rogers in the 25th Century” and “Space: 1999.”
Along with movies and TV come all the toys and collectibles. As a youngster I had the entire collection of “Star Trek” action figures (I can’t bring myself to use the word doll).
Later on, I acquired the entire collection of original Star Wars figures, including the mail-in Boba Fett. I let them all go at a garage sale for 50-cents each — one of the biggest regrets of my life.
Now, my collection of sci-fi memorabilia isn’t what it could be, but it’s satisfying nonetheless. I get to do most of my collecting through my kids. Buying them gifts makes a great excuse for me to continue buying action figures, space ships, models and posters.
And this year will be a great year for sci-fi movies with the return of “Star Trek” to the big screen.
So, Trek-on, good buddy and may you live long and prosper!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home