Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2026 by Joe Southern

Monday, September 28

Celebrating America 250

 

When was the last time you sang “Yankee Doodle”?

In all the build-up to the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, I don’t think I’ve heard the song once. Fifty years ago, I heard it a lot in preparation for America’s bicentennial celebration, but then I was also in elementary school where we did a lot of patriotic stuff.

“Yankee Doodle went to town
Riding on a pony,
Stuck a feather in his cap
And called it macaroni.
(Chorus) Yankee Doodle keep it up,
Yankee Doodle dandy.
Mind the music and the step,
and with the girls be handy.”

There are more verses, but this is the part I remember best. Although the exact origins of the song are a bit muddled, it was basically a tune sung by British troops to mock Americans prior to the Revolutionary War.

The earliest version of the song is often attributed to a British surgeon named Richard Schuckburg who reportedly wrote it between 1755 and 1758 to mock the ragtag colonial soldiers he encountered while stationed with the British army in New York during the French and Indian War.

The little ditty was adopted as a badge of honor by the colonials and rewritten to poke fun at the Brits. It became something of a rallying cry during the Revolutionary War.

I wonder if it’s taught in schools anymore. I don’t recall my children singing it, but they tell me they did. I went to elementary school in the 1970s. We began each day with the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag. Patriotism wasn’t just something we were taught, it was a way of life. It was a given that you would stand and salute with your right hand over your heart whenever the flag was presented or the “Star-Spangled Banner” was performed.

In the Boy Scouts we were drilled in flag etiquette. We were taught how to raise and lower the flag, how to properly fold it, and how to salute it. We were taught its history, and we learned to respect it. It’s my understanding that members of the military receive similar instruction.

I remember well the feeling of American pride at seeing the flag flown everywhere in the weeks and months following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. Sadly, honor and respect for our tri-colored standard has wavered since then.

As we celebrate our nation’s semiquincentennial anniversary, it is my hope that we can rekindle the spirit of patriotism and unity that made this country great. There are a lot of events and activities going on to mark this milestone.

Locally, I think a lot of people would enjoy seeing the E Pluribus Unum exhibit at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. It has several uniquely American artifacts that are sure to instill a sense of pride and nostalgia in each viewer. As curator Jay Patton told me, the exhibit is designed so that we can see ourselves in our national tapestry. It’s a unifying display that was two years in the making.

The Bush Library and Museum will also hold several family friendly activities Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bryan, College Station and Kurten each have fireworks shows planned. At 1 p.m. bells will toll in unison as part of a nationwide effort.

I also highly recommend coming out to Veterans Memorial Park to see the new monuments put in place in the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 memorials. They will be dedicated at 9 a.m. Saturday.

Of course, there are lots of other things going on to celebrate America 250. Hopefully everyone will get out and enjoy the festivities. And maybe, just maybe, someone somewhere will sing “Yankee Doodle.” Wouldn’t that be dandy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home