Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, March 9

Get to know the new Fort Bend Star editor


Hello, Star readers.
It seems funny to be writing that last line. Just last week I was saying goodbye to the fine folks in Sealy. I’m not from Sealy; I worked at The Sealy News for two years and two months. I’ve lived in Rosenberg since Christmas of 2008. With the exception of a very brief time at another Fort Bend County newspaper, all of my employment has been in other counties and states.
I’m excited about the opportunity to work in my home county and to get to know the people here a little better. Actually, I want to get to know people here a lot better. I’m a community journalist and have been for most of my 29 years as a professional newspaper man.
I know I’m an unknown commodity here, so please allow me to introduce myself. As my predecessor Michael Sudhalter pointed out in his last column, I am a Denver Broncos fan. That’s because I was born and raised near the Mile High City and my family has had season tickets to the Broncos since the 1980s.
Don’t let my fandom define me. I’m also a big fan of the Houston Texans and the Sugar Land Skeeters. I love football and baseball, but sports are just a small part of how I identify myself. I am first and foremost a Christian. We are members of First Colony Church of Christ and attend services at the satellite campus in Richmond called Christ’s Church Foster Creek.
I have been married to Sandy for 16 years. We have four children. My daughter Heather is from my previous marriage and lives in Colorado where she is a senior at the University of Northern Colorado. Our oldest son Wesley lives with his grandparents in Orlando, Fla., and is attending a technical school there. Our middle son Luke is a freshman at Terry High School and our youngest son Colton is a seventh grader at George Junior High.
We are active in Boy Scouts with Troop 1000 in Richmond. Wesley and I are both Eagle Scouts and Sandy and I are Wood Badge trained. (She’s a Buffalo and I’m a Bobwhite.) Colton and I volunteer at Brazos Bend State Park. Most of the time when we are out there we can be found in the Nature Center showing people snakes and baby alligators.
In my past life I was the founder and owner of the Lone Ranger Fan Club. Although I have passed ownership on, I still like to attend costumed events in my Lone Ranger outfit and I have a collection of memorabilia. I also like Star Wars, Star Trek and superheroes.
More recently I have become a history buff and am currently working on a photo book project about Texas Revolution reenactors. As you will gradually come to know, I love photography. I’m happiest when I’m behind the camera playing photojournalist.
One of the things I’ve come to expect when I start a new job in this business is people wanting to know my political leanings. The journalist in me strives very hard to be fair and balanced not just politically, but in all areas of life. That being said, I am very conservative and make no bones about it. I work in a liberal industry and if I had to title my biography it would be “My Life Behind Enemy Headlines.”
Over the years I’ve had to write about a lot of stuff I don’t agree with, but I feel that just makes me a stronger and more balanced journalist. I don’t believe in attack journalism and I’m not out to “get” anyone. That doesn’t mean I won’t report about wrongdoing or corruption in business and government. It means that’s not my focus.
I believe in standing up for the community, waving the flag and cheering local progress and innovation. I’d rather help move the community forward and not get mired in the mud. As we get to know each other through the pages of the Star, I hope what you see is an honest reflection of the community and less a self-portrait.
This column is called Faith, Family and Fun. That title reflects my priorities and topics I like to write about. What I say in my column is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the paper, its management or ownership. As long as we all understand that little disclaimer, we should get along very well.
That’s enough about me. Now it’s your turn to tell me your stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home