Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, January 13

Texans need a quarterback to help them catch playoff success

Brian Hoyer
Did you happen to catch the Houston Texans playoff game against Kansas City Saturday?
Apparently the Houston receivers didn’t.
This game wasn’t won by the Chiefs so much as it was surrendered by the Texans. Five turnovers will do that to a team, especially under playoff pressure. Giving up a touchdown on the opening kickoff pretty much set the tone for the game. I’m not sure if it was poor play calling by coach Bill O’Brian, lousy execution by quarterback Brian Hoyer or a combination of the two. All I know is that it was a painful game to watch.
I can’t say that O’Brian has won me over yet for his ability to lead the team. The litany of clipboard holders he has shoved under center just isn’t impressive. Hoyer was just the best the Texans could scrape up from the bottom of the NFL’s quarterback barrel.
I’m really not sure how the team made it to the playoffs given their 2-5 start and the fact that there is no proven leader on offense. Not even the team’s defensive leader, J.J. Watt, could get the offense rolling when O’Brien put him in to take a snap near the goal line. He lost a yard and later left the game with an injury.
There are clearly a lot of changes that need to happen in the off-season if the Texans want to contend for the playoffs next year. I think it’s too soon to cut loose a second-year coach, especially one that took a 2-5 team to the playoffs. It’s not too soon, however, to cut your losses at QB and go after a franchise leader. I’m not sure what free agency and the draft will bring, but certainly the Texans can do better than Hoyer and company.
If you ask me (and to be sure no one will) I think there is some serious talent being wasted on the Washington Redskins’ bench. Although Colt McCoy may be another career clipboard holder, I can’t help but think he just might be the spark the Texans need. Even if he’s not a starter, he’s got the smarts, talent and experience to help polish a rookie to stardom. At the very least he is a solid backup, which is more than what the Texans have now.
On a side note, I couldn’t help but notice that all the home teams lost the Wild Card games last weekend. I hope that trend doesn’t continue, as the Denver Broncos are my favorite team and they have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I also like the Carolina Panthers, who are the NFC’s top seed.
Looking into my crystal ball, I predict that the AFC championship will come down to Denver and Kansas City. New England isn’t playing its best right now and the Chiefs are red hot with an 11-game win streak. The NFC will see Arizona playing at Carolina. I think the Packers and the Seahawks are about played out for the season and will succumb to greater talent.
It’s too soon to say who will make Super Bowl 50, but my heart of hearts wants to see Denver take it all and have Peyton Manning leave the game like John Elway did 17 years ago as a world champion and Super Bowl MVP.
Then next year maybe we can see the Houston Texans get their due in the big game. Before that can happen, however, they need a field general capable of leading the charge. Here is hoping they find the right man for the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home