Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, July 21

Golden Rule doesn't shine in landfill fight

As the final days for the Waller County News Citizen wind down, I have taken some time to reflect on my short two and a half year stint here as the editor.
One of the first columns I wrote upon my arrival was on Hempstead suffering from a severe case of apathy. I saw that apathy evaporate when Green Group Holdings, LLC., announced its plans to open Pintail Park and the Pintail Landfill about a mile north of Hempstead on Highway 6.
The community rallied together in a show of unity against the landfill in ways I’ve rarely seen a community do. Petty bickering and squabbling have been shoved aside in order to fight what some have called a monstrosity and a life-or-death battle for Hempstead.
I found it heartwarming to hear people at the various meetings describe their love for Hempstead and Waller County. There were many passionate stories of multi-generational families, quiet country living, retirements, dream homes and a rural quality of life.
Hempstead is a community of hard-working, God-fearing folks who have invested their lives and livelihoods here to make a better place for their families and the generations to follow. This community has survived many economic and social blows and is still standing tall. Folks here work hard, play hard, look out for one another, attend church on Sundays and give of themselves to help their neighbors.
Hempstead prides itself as a community of character. Folks here live by the Golden Rule. At least that’s what they purport to do. Before coming after me with torches and pitchforks, please allow me a moment to share what I hope is an impartial observation of the way people have been behaving throughout this whole ordeal. Please let me play the devil’s advocate to see if I can’t help spread some truth and goodwill into what is a very volatile situation.
In the three big meetings that I’ve reported on so far, I’ve observed some things that I find disturbing. First of all, it agonizes me that Hempstead and Waller County have to be put into this situation, especially from outsiders who do not live here and do not know the values of the community.
Secondly, it disturbs me that people here are not responding in a way that reflects those values or their purported Christian beliefs. As Jesus says in Luke 6:27-31, “But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
The Apostle Paul writes in Ephesians 4:26-27 “‘In your anger do not sin’: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.” A couple verses later in 31-31 he says, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
I fully understand and expect people to be angry about the landfill. I don’t begrudge anyone that. But I feel the anger, gossip and hype around the whole thing is a heap of hypocrisy and reflects poorly on the people who live here. I wish people would stop long enough to try and see things from the perspective of others. I wish they could see the negative image they are portraying to the rest of the world.
Life has given Waller County a load of lemons with the landfill. But instead of trying to make lemonade, residents have responded with a sour face. Oscar Allen and Ernest Kaufmann have a very thankless and undesirable job to do. Their company is behaving in a more Christ-like manner by extending all kinds of benefits, concessions and cash to the community. Rather than welcome these strangers and agreeing to work with them on solutions that are mutually beneficial, the community has responded with righteous indignation. No “Good Samaritans” are we.
A while back I suggested that the county enact ordinances governing the locations of undesirable projects such as a landfill. It did so, but in a very knee-jerk fashion. On paper it sounds good to limit landfills to locations within two miles of current or former landfills. I highly doubt, however, that anyone involved in creating this bit of legislation has done their homework on it.
Are these locations better suited for a landfill? Whose toes will be stepped on if it’s relocated? What are the environmental impacts of the “approved” sites versus the proposed site? How will the other sites better protect the groundwater and other natural resources? What will be the impact on the roads to those locations?
We need to slow down and think this through before flying any further off the handle. I know many of you will think I’m just selling out because I don’t live here and the paper is closing anyway. You can chose to believe what you like, but the truth is, I do care.
I want what’s best for the community, but in order to know what that is, we need to act and react in a civil manner. We need to treat them the way we want them to treat us. So far, we haven’t been very neighborly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home