Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, July 29

Armchair quarterbacking our favorite local festivals

It’s time for a little armchair quarterbacking.
In the last three weeks we have had the Waller Freedom Fest and the Hempstead Watermelon Music Festival. My family and I had a great time at both events. But attendance was down and I’m hearing some grumbling here and there from locals who were less than thrilled.
While I haven’t been here long enough to know what the festivals of old were like, I certainly didn’t have much to complain about beyond getting a little sunburned. The heat certainly impacted both festivals, but that’s to be expected in South Texas in July. You really can’t do much about that.
Using my limited experience and unlimited hindsight, I have a few suggestions that might make both events bigger and better.

Waller Freedom Fest
Next to the fireworks display, the most successful part of this event is the children’s play area where they can have a blast in the water. I think the festival should capitalize on this and expand it. I could see something like a mud volleyball tournament, water balloon toss, tug-o-war over the mud pit, dunk tanks, greased pig contest, and other such events.
Another thing that was highly successful in my hometown of Longmont, Colo., was a picnic in the park. There was a contest for the best picnic display and people came out to compete, eat and enjoy live symphony music with patriotic tunes.

Hempstead Watermelon Music Festival
I though this year’s festival was greatly improved over last year’s. It helped a lot having everything in one central location. Crossing Austin Street is dangerous, especially without traffic control. I also liked the idea behind the evening concerts.
I suspected there would be a problem when the Hempstead Chamber of Commerce announced that it wanted to bring in a “name act” and then contracted with Cowboy Troy. “Cowboy who?” was not only my response, but that of many people I talked to. He is not a name act. The headliner has got to be a more recognizable personality – someone who doesn’t make people ask, “who’s that?”
Another concert killer was having the headliner go on at 11:30 p.m. That’s just way too late. The headliner should go on around 9 p.m., or 10 at the very latest.
I would also recommend expanding the watermelon contests. I think it is very realistic for the watermelon eating contest to become a sanctioned International Federation of Competitive Eating event with big cash prizes. I think there would be a lot more participation in the watermelon judging if it were promoted far enough ahead of time so people could start growing their own for the competition. That way the commercial growers don’t dominate everything.
Another event that I think would go over well is a watermelon wine tasting. In that same vein, a watermelon cooking contest of some kind might be a lot of fun.
I have really enjoyed having the Brazos Bottom Cowographers here. Assuming they are invited back – and I hope they are – I would like to see them get a more prominent place for their set. In the two years I’ve been here, they have been off to the side where they haven’t been as visible as they could be.
An unrelated event starting up this year is the Watermelon Run For The Fallen. I think if the event is held next year that it should be done in conjunction with the Watermelon Music Festival. It doesn’t have to be on the same day, but at least the same weekend.
Finally – and this is probably the most important part – next year’s festival needs more volunteers. The core group of about five people at the chamber busted their backsides to pull off the festival and they deserve our thanks and our help.
As I said at the beginning, I’m just armchair quarterbacking here. That being said, I plan to pitch in next year and do my part to make the festival a bigger and better success. I hope many of you will too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home