Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, June 10

Sin is me

What is sin? We all know that sin is wrong, but what, exactly, is it? How do you define sin?
I did a quick search on the Internet and came up with various definitions that basically said sin is the violation of a religious or moral law. While that is true, I wanted to know more. I wanted to boil sin down to its core. I wanted to know what sin is at its most basic level.
That set me thinking about what things are considered sin. I came up with the obvious: murder, theft, lying, adultery, gluttony, disobedience and so on. I then wanted to know what the common denominator is between each of those things.
The answer was me.
Not me specifically, but me as in selfishness. I concluded that sin is selfishness. Sin is all about “me.” Think about it. What sin is there that is not motivated by selfishness? I couldn’t come up with anything.
If you kill someone, is it for the benefit of the other person or the one doing the killing? The same goes for telling lies, stealing and committing adultery. The commission of a sin does not benefit the recipient, but rather fulfills a desire of the offender. It’s no wonder God is so adamant about denying oneself and loving other people.
“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13
I did a search for references in the Bible talking about how we should love one another. I got 16 hits. Among them:
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34
“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” Romans 12:10
“You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:13
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2
“And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.” 1 John 3:23
When asked what the greatest commandment is, Jesus said it is to love God and others.
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
Finally, Philippians 2:3 tells us, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.”
Even if you are not “religious” or a Christian, you have to admit that our laws are designed to limit selfishness. Most of our laws are designed to prevent or punish selfish acts that harm others. We have laws governing the consumption of alcohol and other drugs, not because of the harm they do to the consumer, but because of the threat the consumer poses to others while under the influence.
Here is something else to consider. No one is given an award, compliment or accolade for a selfish act. Those things are given to those who go above and beyond in their service to others.
One of the things I really struggle with from a selfish standpoint is my packrat mentality. I have a tendency to want to keep things that I buy or that are given to me. I’m a sucker for promotional giveaways. It’s not that there is anything wrong with keeping what you have. My problem is it makes it harder for me to give to others. Having many things also distracts me from appreciating the few treasures that I really value.
I need to learn to unload a ton of my stuff and make room for the really important things. I need to learn to make sure the needs of others are met before my own. It’s only through a spirit of self-depravation that I can make my life better by making life better for those around me. It is also pleasing to God.
“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7.
Failure to abide by this the truths presented here is truly a sin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home