Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Friday, July 16

What could be worse than living in hades?

An interesting point was made in the Wednesday night men’s group at my church last week.
One of the guys told how he had befriended a nonbeliever years ago and asked him if he knew of anything that was worse than hell. The nonbeliever couldn’t think of anything that was worse than the fire and brimstone of eternal damnation.
My Christian brother said he could think of one thing: Getting there and finding your wife and children there because you didn’t lead them to eternal life though Jesus.
That was profound. It was profound enough that this nonbeliever is now one of the strongest Christians I know and is a servant leader in our church.
It’s one thing to think of your soul existing in torment for all eternity because of decisions you willfully made. It’s another to think of your loved ones souls condemned for all time because of decisions you didn’t make.
Conversely, how would I feel arriving in heaven with the full knowledge that my loved ones and acquaintances were eternally doomed because of my inaction?
I don’t want it to ever be said that I was ashamed to speak about Jesus. I want anyone to feel welcome to talk to me about faith – yours or mine. I know what I believe and I am not embarrassed by it. I am humbled and honored to be loved beyond comprehension by the creator of all that is and ever will be.
It was also interesting to me when, guys being guys, someone said that they would be willing to die as the Apostle Paul did for the sake of Jesus Christ. There was a lot of murmuring in agreement about that until I asked how many would be willing to risk their employment in order to talk about Jesus on the job. The room fell silent.
I don’t think there was a man in the room who is not willing to risk losing his job so he can talk to a coworker about Christ. At the same time, I think many of us don’t want to be in a spot where they have to make that choice. We’re comfortable with a don’t ask, don’t tell mentality toward proselytizing. We won’t open the door for that conversation unless the other person opens it first.
I’m not the kind of person to walk up to a stranger and say, “Hi, my name is Joe. Do you know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?” I am, however, the kind of person who will wear Christian T-shirts, put fish logos on my car and do my best to live my life as an example for others to see. I guess I hope that will open doors.
That being said, I am far from perfect. My current car does not yet have any Christian symbols on it. My office has a cross on the wall, but far more items indicating my interest in the Lone Ranger and Star Wars. I have many personal failings; among the more obvious ones are a lead foot and a propensity toward gluttony. I can only hope to overcome my failures before they overcome me or get in the way of my ability to reach others for God.
To my credit, I try my best to be a spiritual leader in my home. We attend church regularly, have nightly family prayer time and encourage our children to read the Bible and understand their faith. I feel confident that come judgment day I will be six-for-six when it comes time for my family to enter the pearly gates. I wish I could say the same about everyone near and dear to me, but sadly I cannot.
I can only hope that by writing this that someone, somewhere will be convicted or inspired enough to investigate the claims of Jesus and come to know him as their savior. This is my way of reaching out and saying that I don’t want you to make a mistake – willingly or in ignorance – that will cost you eternity in paradise.
It is my hope that when I reach Heaven that I will be greeted by a large number of people who are thankful that I showed them how to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. I hope that this column will reach others long after I’m gone. It’s the best way I have to impact generations yet to be born on behalf of the one born to die for them.

Y’all come now
This Saturday is the 22nd annual Hempstead Watermelon and Music Festival. I hope everyone will come on out and enjoy the festivities. Once again the Waller County News Citizen will have a booth. This time we will offer an incredible deal on subscriptions in honor of our 120th year. Come on by. You won’t want to miss it. I won’t be at the booth very much because I will be out taking pictures and covering the festival. But I will be easy to spot in my new, green Waller County News Citizen polo shirt. Please feel free to come by and say hi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home