Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Friday, December 26

Lone Ranger arrives in Waller County

Who is that masked man?
Get used to the question. I hear it a lot. I use it a lot. It goes with the territory of being the owner/president of the Lone Ranger Fan Club. Yes, you are now stuck with a fanatic of a 75-year-old masked cowboy as the General Manager (editor, reporter, photographer, whatever) of this here fine newspaper.
Don’t worry, I am somewhat normal. In addition to Westerns, I also like sci-fi/fantasy, especially Star Trek and Star Wars. First and foremost, however, I am a Christian. But since Christians outnumber Lone Ranger fans (at least where I’m from), I tend to stand out a little more for my fanaticism than my faith.
Believe me, I am much more interested in being faithful to God than I am interested in the faithful Indian companion.
Having lived most recently in the Texas Panhandle area, I was in good company. There were churches on every corner and people took great pride in their church and their faith. Being new here (four hours on the job at the time of this writing), I have a lot to learn about the degree of belief (or lack thereof) in this county.
In fact, there is a lot I am looking forward to learning about the communities we serve. I hope in time that you will come to know me just as well, be it through my column or, preferably, in person.
I am admittedly bad with names and will have to ask your name at least five times and introduce myself twice before I finally put names and faces together. Still, I hope that won’t discourage you from coming in the office or stopping me on the street to say hi.
One of the things I hope you learn about me is my love for community journalism. I am a firm believer that while a newspaper may be owned by a person or corporation, it really belongs to the people of the community. It is truly for the people, by the people. As a one-man reporting staff (with correspondents), I can’t be at all places all the time, especially if I’m stopped on the street to meet someone.
I will do my best to cover the news and events of the community, but I will also be depending on you, the readers, to send us stuff to put in the paper. That is the interactive aspect that is mutually beneficial. I encourage people to participate in the newspaper, either by submitting items to run, suggesting stories or writing letters to the editor.
Together, we can really go places. I want the Waller County News Citizen to be the best newspaper it can be, and I’m sure you’d like to be the best one you read. I plan to be here a good long time so I hope this will be the beginning of a great relationship.
At least for now you have an idea of just who this masked man is.
Hi-Yo Silver, away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home