Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Monday, January 5

Changes coming in 2009

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 10 years since we were going to “party like it’s 1999.”
Ten years ago we were on the countdown to Y2K (and the end of civilization as we knew it).
The year 1999 was memorable for me in many ways, none of which had anything to do with the Millennium Bug. My beloved Broncos won the Super Bowl. “Star Wars” returned to the big screen. I went on my first mission trip -- a week-long adventure to build houses in Honduras. And Sandy became my wife.
Here we are in 2009 and we’re still trying to figure out what to call the 2000s. We got used to ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s, but we still fumble around for a way to say whatever it is we call the last nine years.
This year is going to bring with it a lot of change. We’ll have a new president who promised us that.
Locally, I anticipate many changes. It’s a hard prediction for me to make being new here, but maybe that’s why I can say that. Everything I have seen so far indicates this area is growing. Growth brings change. There will be new public officials – some starting today and other yet to be elected or appointed.
Closer to home, you can expect many changes in the News Citizen this year. You will not recognize the paper within a few weeks if I have anything to do about it. I think the people in Waller County deserve better than they’ve been getting and I plan to do my best to make this paper a vital part of the community and an important part of your week.
I like to think I am bringing fresh eyes and ears and a new perspective to the paper. Like I said last week, I want this paper to be interactive with the community.
If you have something you think might make an interesting story, please let me know.
I am especially interested in feature stories. I like to talk to people about their odd collections, interesting hobbies, unusual happenings and such.
Another thing I’d like to feature is photographs of hunting and fishing trophies. If you were successful with your pole or gun, please feel free to submit a picture and to tell us how and where you made your catch.
The easiest way to reach me is by e-mail. My address is jsouthern@hcnonline.com. You’re also welcome to come by the office or give me a call at 979-826-3361.
Who knows, 10 years from now we could be looking back at the interesting things in your life and marveling at how much things have changed since now. But that won’t happen without your participation. And if you have any suggestions for things you’d like to see (or no longer see) in the News Citizen, please feel free to let me know.This is, after all, your newspaper. In order to print the news that’s important to you, we must first know about it. Don’t be shy. Your public is waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home