Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Thursday, October 28

Predicting local election winners

If there’s one thing I do not like to write about, it’s politics.
I am not very politically oriented. Politics are very subjective and are equally emotional. Passions run deep, and so do the pockets whenever election season rolls around. That’s something that I just don’t like to mess with.
I have my values and beliefs and they generally run on the conservative side. But I’m not in lock-step with the Republican Party. Every once and a while the Democrats do something I can support.
That being said, I thought I would make my predictions on the outcome of the local races. Please note that this is not – I repeat, NOT – an endorsement. It’s just me looking into my imaginary crystal ball and trying to guess who the winners will be.
I think it’s a safe bet to predict that Elton Mathis will win District Attorney, Pat Spadachene will win District Clerk, Debbie Hollan will win County Clerk, Susan Winfree will win County Treasurer, Frank Pokluda will win County Commissioner Precinct 2, Delores Hargrave will win Justice of the Peace Precinct 2, and Ted Krenek will win Justice of the Peace Precinct 4, as they are all unopposed.
Another easy call is Stan Kitzman (Republican) over Wesley “Sandy” Buller (independent) for County Commissioner Precinct 4. Kitzman handily won the primary and was out of the country serving in Iraq when he did it. If he’s that well liked I think it means things will go in his favor.
The other easy call is Glenn Beckendorff over Dorothy Bottos for County Judge. Both have waged a hard campaign, but Beckendorff comes with the name recognition and the experience of already being a commissioner on the court. He’s also a Republican in a conservative county.
In the race for Judge, County Court at Law, I think June Jackson will stay on the bench. I don’t see much effort coming from her Democrat challenger Erica Hughes. Incumbency and being a Republican weigh in Jackson’s favor.
The contests for Justice of the Peace in precincts 1 and 3 are a little harder to call. In Precinct 1, Republican Joseph “Joey” Williams has been in a relentless campaign to unseat Democrat Charles J. Karisch. It will be interesting to see if Williams’ efforts are enough to overcome incumbency. I think he’s got a legitimate shot at it, but feel Karisch will carry the day.
Perhaps the most interesting race this election pits Democrat Marian Elaine Jackson against Republican Milton Whiting for the JP Precinct 3 seat. This is the race to replace DeWayne Charleston, who lost the position when he pled guilty to a federal programs fraud offense last August.
Jackson is the wife of Prairie View Mayor Frank Jackson. It will be interesting to see if voters want to place so much power into the hands of a single family like that. On the other hand, Whiting is a Republican in what is largely a Democratic precinct, but he comes with the name recognition of having been a county commissioner.
This is perhaps the toughest contest to call. I do think Whiting will pull it out but would not be surprised if it went the other way.
Looking on at extra-county races of interest, I foresee Republican Jeff Steinhauser defeating Democrat Alan Folger for 155th Judicial District Judge. Either man is well qualified but Steinhouser will benefit from straight-ticket ballots and a stronger campaign.
I also feel very confident that state Sen. Glenn Hegar, a Republican, will defeat Democrat challenger Patricia “Pat” Olney. Likewise, Republican state Rep. John Zerwas should have an easy time against Democrat Wayne Raasch.
In the race for Congress, U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, Republican, should have no problems against Democrat Ted Ankrum and Libertarian Jeremiah “JP” Perkins.
Finally, for the whole enchilada, I believe incumbent Republican Gov. Rick Perry will stay in office, defeating Democrat Bill White, Libertarian Kathie Glass and Green Party candidate Deb Shafto.
So there you have it. Again, I remind you that this is not an endorsement but just a simple prediction. Now it’s your turn to decide. Be sure to get out and vote!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home