Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Wednesday, June 2

A game of firsts

Thursday, May 13, marked a milestone in the history of baseball in Texas.

The Sugar Land Skeeters played the Round Rock Express at Dell Diamond. This is a first for a number of reasons. To begin with, it’s the first time the state’s two Major League teams — the Houston Astros and the Texas Rangers — have had both of their Triple A Minor League teams located inside the state.

The Express has been the Triple A affiliate for both the Astros and the Rangers in the past and is once again under the Rangers umbrella. Sugar Land, which spent its first nine years in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball as an independent ballclub, is in its first season as the Astros Triple A affiliate.

Secondly, it was the first meeting between these two teams. Thirdly, it was the first time the Skeeters played in Texas outside of Constellation Field.

Although Triple A affiliates of both teams have played each other in Texas on a number of occasions, this is the first time they’ve done so while both call the Lone Star State home.

OK, that may not sound like such a big deal, but considering the long history of baseball, it’s hard to come up with firsts anymore. In this game, I found three of them. It’s kind of like coming up with a small nugget of gold in a field of iron pyrite.

Once the game started, more firsts continued to unfold. The first pitch of the game by Round Rock’s Jason Bahr became the first hit as Sugar Land’s Jake Meyers sent it to deep left field for a single. Five batters later, Sugar Land’s Jose Siri hit a three-run double. I know that’s not a first, but what he did in the second inning was a first for the Skeeters. Once again, Siri came to bat with two outs. This time the bases were loaded and he blasted a grand slam, the first in Skeeters history as a Triple A team. By the time the second inning was over, Siri had accounted for seven of the Skeeters’ nine runs.

I couldn’t tell you if there were any more firsts in the game. There were a couple of firsts for me, though. It was my first visit to Dell Diamond, which is a magnificent ballpark. It was my first Express game. It was also the first time I watched the Skeeters play an away game.

I’ve lived southwest of Houston in Rosenberg for the last 12 years. Sugar Land is nearby and I have been following the Skeeters from their start in 2012. I took my family to the first game and we have been to many others since. I’ve been covering them as a photographer and writer for the last five years. I know I’ve felt like part of the organization, and the feeling is mutual. When they won their second Atlantic League championship in 2018, the team gave me an official championship ring. It’s one of my most prized treasures.

But getting back to the game, there was something surreal about it for most everyone there. The last time the Express played in 2019 (COVID canceled the 2020 season), they were the Astros Triple A affiliate. Many of the players wearing Skeeters uniforms were playing for the Express back then. And many of the fans were wearing Astros-themed gear but cheering for the Rangers’ squad.

It was weird for me to see a team I’ve been following for 10 years and not recognize a single person. All of the old indy ball players and coaches had to move on once Major League Baseball reorganized the Minors in the off season, which allowed for the Skeeters to become an affiliated team.

Now that I’m here in Fredericksburg, the Express is now the closest AAA team and I’m sure I’ll make it to a few more games as the season progresses. I’d also like to head south at some point as see some Double A ball with the San Antonio Missions.

Last week, the Skeeters had their home opener against the state’s third AAA team, the El Paso Chihuahuas. At the game, I caught up with Astros owner Jim Crane. He told me he was happy to have the AAA team located just 23 miles from Minute Maid Park. He also complimented the Rangers organization and said there should be a good rivalry between Round Rock and Sugar Land in the years to come.

“I think it’ll be a great rivalry with the Rangers and their organization and they’re just up the road, so it’s not that far,” he said.

I don’t know what the interest is in Fredericksburg for Minor League Baseball, but I’d like to find out. I know it doesn’t help that the nearest teams are an hour or two away, but I’m sure there must be a few fans that make the trek a couple times a season or more to watch America’s favorite pastime. If anyone knows of a local connection to Minor League Baseball, please let me know.

Midway through the first inning in Round Rock I got caught on their Smile Cam. There I was, grinning with my dirty, beat-up, black felt cowboy hat on my head and a goofy grin across my face.

The stadium announcer said something like “it was nice of Indiana Jones to join us today.” That got a good laugh.

All in all, it was a beautiful evening for a ballgame. As a Skeeters fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the 10-4 victory. As an observer of the sport, I can’t help but wonder if this game wasn’t the first in what is likely to become a rather passionate rivalry. I know they play each other 30 times this season and both teams are under long-term contracts to be their respective club’s Triple A team.

After a game with so many firsts, I can’t wait to go back for seconds. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Sugar Land Skeeters left fielder Bryan De La Cruz (16), fouls off a ball as Round Rock Express catcher John Hicks and umpire Malachi Moore look on. The Skeeters beat the Express 10-4 May 13 in the first game between the two ballclubs at Dell Diamond in Round Rock. — Standard-Radio Post/Joe Southern

Sugar Land Skeeters relief pitcher Ralph Garza Jr. throws to Round Rock Express short stop Anderson Tejeda during the May 13 game at the Dell Diamond in Round Rock. The Skeeters won the inaugural game between the two Triple A ballclubs 10-4. — Standard-Radio Post/Joe Southern


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home