Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Tuesday, April 16

From out of the past, Southern returns as editor of the Sealy News


When last we met in 2016, I was writing about inspiration I drew from Ricky Padilla, who was a kindergartner battling brain cancer.
In his short life with an even shorter prospect for survival, he got to meet the Pope and was twice blessed by the pontiff. He did a lot of things that made life worth living for a 5-year-old. That was my launching point to say that I, too, was moving on to new adventures. After two years and two months at the Sealy News, I left to take a similar position as editor of the Fort Bend Star.
Three years later I’m still in pursuit of newer and better opportunities and I have found one by returning to the Sealy News. As of April 10, I am once again the managing editor of the newspaper. In the brief time that I’ve been back I have been swirling with mixed emotions. I loved my job at the Star and was very reluctant to leave. At the same time, I loved my job in Sealy and when the Sealy News made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, I had to take it. I will still be covering professional sports for the Star and will be introducing some of that coverage here in the News, specifically the Sugar Land Skeeters minor league baseball team.
I realize that Sugar Land is a bit of a haul from Sealy and minor league baseball has only so much appeal, but there are a lot of things going on with the defending Atlantic League champions this season and I think there are more than a few of you out there who will be excited about it. They’ve got the makings of another championship team, including the additions of some former Major Leaguers such as James Loney, Ryan Schimpf, and pitcher Mark Lowe.
At Constellation Field you can expect some awesome giveaways and concerts on the weekends plus some fun games, skits, and activities taking place between innings. The Atlantic League has a new agreement with Major League Baseball and they are testing new rules and technology. I’ll tell you more about that in the weeks to come. Just save April 25 on your calendar. That’s Opening Day and they’re giving away replica championship rings.
As for being back in Sealy, it’s kind of surreal. As much as things are the same they’re also different. There are several new businesses in town, so I’ve got some exploring to do. Here in our office, the only person that was here three years ago is Karen Lopez, our publisher. I’m getting to know a new staff and a lot of new ways of doing things. The paper here is a lot more technologically advanced than it was when I left and I’ve had a whirlwind of introduction to techy things my millennial colleagues snap right up. I’m finding a lot of my conversations involve the words “how do I…”
Most of the handful of people that I’ve encountered since returning haven’t really recognized me. Being gone three years will do that. So does a radical change in appearance. I currently have a mustache, goatee, and long sideburns, all colored a dark brown. That will change after April 21. You see, I have joined the Texas Army, the 1836 ceremonial re-enactment group that does battle re-enactments each year at various historical sites from the Alamo to San Jacinto and beyond.
I grew the scruff and let my hair go so I would better look the part for the re-enactment season that basically runs from late February through April. Although the recent tank fires in Houston resulted in the cancellation of the San Jacinto re-enactment along with the annual San Jacinto Day commemoration on the April 21 anniversary, will still keep the scruffy look until after that day.
The Texas Army will hold a San Jacinto Day ceremony at George Ranch Historical Park in Richmond. It’s going to be a private ceremony as the park is closed on Sundays. The Texas Army does not want an anniversary to pass without proper commemoration. Additionally, there will be a ceremony where I and one other will be made full colonels in the Army. To qualify, you must attend a certain number of events and also prove your marksmanship with a muzzleloader. I’ve met my qualifications and will receive a certificate signed by Gov. Greg Abbott.
There is so much going on and so much to learn and do right now that it’s hard to keep up with it all. As I mentioned earlier, we need to take advantage of our opportunities when we get them. I’m taking advantage of this one. And one of the first things I’d like to do is follow-up with little Ricky. If anyone knows what’s become of him, I’d really like to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home