Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2024 by Joe Southern

Friday, May 23

Honoring a debt that can never be repaid


I never grow tired of listening to their stories. There has hardly been a year go by in my 26 years in this business where I haven’t had the privilege of interviewing U.S. veterans, especially those who served during World War II.
Many of their names and faces have faded from my memory, but their courage and valor are engraved in my heart. I’ve met the very guys who literally saved the world and changed the course of history. From Pearl Harbor to nearly every major battle in the Pacific Theater to the shores of Normandy and on through the Berlin Airlift, I have been honored to share and tell their tales.
I’ve never been a war correspondent, but I’ve written a lot about the warriors who have defended freedom across the globe. That includes the Korean, Vietnam and Gulf wars.
As I write this column, I’m fresh off an interview with Carl Nastoupil of Sealy who flew B-17s over Germany during World War II. He is a high caliber man of integrity, as are nearly every veteran I’ve been honored to interview. Hearing his story reminds me of the incredible sacrifice men and women have made to make this country great.
I never did serve in the military. My brother and father did, though they never went to war. I have relatives who fought for this country, and want to give a special shout-out to my cousin, Rich Ekborg, who is one tough Marine. I also want to salute my brother-in-law, Maj. Brandon Moore. He is an Army chaplain who served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
As a youngster, I grew up in the era when ill feelings about the military and the Vietnam War prevailed. That was in the days when the guys not smart enough to go to college went into the military. Or at least that was the common misconception.
Today I live in a house once owned by my wife’s late grandfather, Leonard Flemmons. He was a World War II veteran and a true hero in many ways. He was a great man and I miss him terribly.
My family history does not have many ties to American wars. In recent years I have come across evidence that an ancestor of mine fought in the Revolutionary War. I’ve been told, but have not found any proof, that my great-grandfather fought in the Spanish-American War as a Rough Rider.
Beyond that, I have to look at my wife’s family for a history of military service. We have tracked it back to Goliad during the Texas War for Independence. It continues through the major wars from the Civil War to the two world wars and beyond.
I don’t know what it is about wars that seem to tie us to the country. I guess it’s the pride and the history. They are milestones across time that most people can understand and relate to.
While I may have never served in the military, I am an Eagle Scout and have developed a great pride in service to my country in other ways. As a reporter, I can share the stories of our great warriors, which I can only hope honors them and inspires another generation into service. While it might not be much, I feel it’s the least I can do for those who put their lives on the line for the freedom I enjoy today.
May God bless all of you who have ever worn the uniform in service to this great country. I salute you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home