Faith, Family & Fun

Faith, Family & Fun is a personal column written weekly by Joe Southern, a Coloradan now living in Texas. It's here for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave comments. I want to hear from you!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

My name is Joe and I am married to Sandy. We have four children: Heather, Wesley, Luke and Colton. Originally from Colorado, we live in Bryan, Texas. Faith, Family & Fun is Copyright 1987-2026 by Joe Southern

Monday, September 28

Let's be Sept. 12 people again

 

Nearly everyone old enough to remember recalls where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news about the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

I was in the shower when the first tower was hit. When I got out, Sandy had the news on the TV in our bedroom. I was half watching while getting dressed for the day when the second tower was hit. That was no accident! I rushed to get ready and by the time I reached the office of the Longmont (Colorado) Daily Times-Call the Pentagon had been struck.

As the first reporter in the newsroom, I immediately started calling city officials. They were all huddled in an emergency meeting but returned calls right away. I spoke to a few of the community leaders and put together a story about their response, their concerns, and any action being planned.

Joyce Davis, our features editor, was the next reporter in the building and she took the lead on listing prayer vigils and services that were hastily being organized. Our stories were cobbled together with wire service coverage, and a very rare extra edition of the paper was produced within the span of just a couple hours.

It was one of the finest moments of my career, not that a tragedy is a fine moment. Our response to it was incredible and life-changing. What stood out to me about that day 25 years ago, however, is what happened the day after. We changed as a people and the spirit that emerged was beautiful. All of our petty squabbling and political differences were shoved aside as this country truly became the UNITED States of America.

Neighbor helped neighbor; strangers held hands and prayed. We discovered that we have more in common with each other than we do things that divide us. The sense of patriotism was overwhelming. American flags were hoisted that did not come down until they were faded and tattered.

Sandy and I were living in a mobile home at the time and the people next to us set out candles that were still burning on the morning of Sept. 12 when I left for work. A couple of hours later, Sandy called me in a panic. The wind kicked up and the neighbor’s house was on fire. She rushed in, woke the neighbors and got them out. She then turned on our garden hose and started spraying the flames until the fire department arrived.

Sandy suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital for treatment. She was later honored by the fire department with a plaque recognizing her as a selfless hero and a lifesaver. Her example is just one of many that illustrate the commitment and resolve that Americans everywhere felt and experienced in the days that followed 9/11.

We cared for each other. We took care of others. Churches were packed. We were frightened, not knowing if another attack was coming, but now we were ready.

I, like millions of others, lined up to donate blood. I donated as frequently as I could for years afterward. I still donate, but less frequently. This is a reminder that I need to step it up again. If you’re not a donor, you should consider doing it. The need is great all the time.

Out of the horrific tragedy of 9/11 came the beauty of Sept. 12. It’s sad to see how hateful and divided this country has become just 25 years after our darkest hour. It’s as though we never learned the lessons from Sept. 12.

We now have declining trust, political intimidation, dehumanizing rhetoric, and threats to our constitutional liberties. Political extremism has become polarizing. A deep political divide has formed and been reinforced in the echo chambers of social media.

This isn’t the kind of tragedy that I can rush into the newsroom to report on. It’s the kind of tragedy that requires every one of us, me included, to carefully examine our beliefs about our country and who we want to be. Is the reality we are living in today the reality we want to pass on to our children?

I think we can do better. We must do better. Let’s not wait for another 9/11 to turn us back into the people of Sept. 12. Let us rise above the rhetoric and be the compassionate, courageous and generous people who truly make this nation great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home